• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am kinda freaking out!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BC|Wulf

I have been extremely happy with my MB and CPU, especially with the games I play. I had been running my system with the following settings rock solid stable:

220 X 10
1.7V CPU
1.6V chipset
1.6V on AGP
2.7V on memory
Stock D27 BIOS

It would not let me go a hair over 220 mhz without a good bump in the core voltage, which would mean a bump in temp.

I had been doing some research in the forums on a different BIOS I could use (thank god for the forums) and choose three different ones to try.

I installed Trats D27 and was amazed when I had my FSB up to 245 and was still stable without adjusting any voltages. I have noticed my temperatures have gone up a bit but for the most part stay just under 50c. I am assuming that the case temp reading is actually the northbridge as it normally ran in the low 20's, but is now up around 26-27c.

I am just kinda freaked out I guess because of the massive jump in FSB, no adjustment in voltage and I am still stable. I have had thoughts that my computer was going to blow up due to misreadings in speedfan. It also does not help that my cpu is not the best overclocker due to the stepping.

Anyone else have this experience?

Yup, im useing the 1T version of your bios, and i have to say for my set up, its teh hizzle. For me with this ram, i couldnt get past 217 on the stock abit d27 :( im enjoying some nice cool temps today tho :)

Nice temps! You sucking air in from outside? I am confused as my rig now sits in the basement and it does not seem to run any cooler than when it was upstairs.

I was thinking of using the 1T version, but I thought that it was best to use the 2T version when running 1GB of ram.

Well.. sort of.. it was 5c out this morning, and i had all the windows open ;) Im also running a gig, and with every bios i tried, ecept this and edc_18, id get bluescreens and random reboots constantly. I can honestly say i love this board now, for what it is, its the best ive had :)

whats 1T and 2T all about? im running on of merlins d26's with cpc off.

and i kinda get stuck around 220fsb with mine, got a linky to Trats D27.

d27_131.zip <---- 1T i assume?
d27_131_2T.zip

d27_619R2.zip <---- 1T i assume?
d27_619R2_2T.zip

and whats the difference between "619R2" and "131"
do you know whave ones have cpc on and off ?

I cant really say.. i havent tried the 131s.. but i did try d27_619R2_2T, and coudnt really get any benefit from it, so i went back to 1T. So im nice and stable at 240, but prime fails and so does memtest at not too much more than were im at, the wird thing is i can run pcmark04 and aquamark at 250x10. So i think now its not a bios related issue, but a something with my board, it feels like it wants to go further, but somethings holding it back.. :shrug: :beer:

1T is supopsedly CPC on and 2T is CPC off. I picked 2T since I ahve seen most people say if you run gig you should have CPC off. Now I am wondering if I could go with CPC on since my ram is rated so high anyways. Might have to try it once!

I always heard that 250 was the brickwall for a NF7-S. Have to see how easy it is to break it...I am close right now, but need to get my temp issue figured out.

got some nice memory there hehehe im going to put the bios on now and see where it takes me :)

BC:
yes you should try cpc on and bench it and then decide which way you want to run it.

with cpc off, you will be able to run a higher fsb, but you need to need to run it higher than 10-15 fsb to give you a benefit over cpc on.

i used to get memtest errors with cpc on, at stock but that was only on test 5 and in the last 1mb of ram. i thought i had a bad stick but it happens even if i swap the sticks around....

but on another note im at 2.5,2,2,5 @ 220mhz
mem test stable for 7h and 45m i stoped it there cause i woke up and wanted to use the computer. i cant get the memory stable at 230mhz even at 3,4,4,8, so im guessing the only way i will break that is with more voltage....

but over all i cant complain the memorys rated for 2,3,3,6 @ 200, so i have a win, win situation :) higher frequency and tighter timings

I will give the 1T a try tonight and see how it goes. I would think that by running 2T and having a higher FSB would result in a faster comp. Sure you have to clock higher to keep the ram at the same speed, but the CPU is running faster. Isn't that where most of the time is spent?

Things are really looking snappy Freeagent! BTW what are you running for cooling? You have 2 volts on your CPU!

DrSpanky: There seems to be a problem when running memory with CAS 3 on the NF7-S. I run mine at 2.5. Also your memory is supposed to run best at x,x,x,11. For some reason it works best if the last number is set to 11.

Does the bios dictate how the temperature sensors are running? The reason I ask is the lower temps I seemed to have when running the stock bios. The problem is I changed the bios and my CPU fan at the same time, so I am having a hard time figuring out why my temps raised.

BC|Wulf said:
DrSpanky: There seems to be a problem when running memory with CAS 3 on the NF7-S. I run mine at 2.5. Also your memory is supposed to run best at x,x,x,11. For some reason it works best if the last number is set to 11.

yer i forgot about setting the tras to 11, For some reason many people with merlins bios had it working better at 8.

i will give it a change it to 11 and see what extra i get out it. spent the past few hours gaming without a crash so looks like my memorys stable. i was playing world of warcraft good for stability testing lol it crashs even when things like prime and memtest are stable.

i think i will give the 1t's a try later on also see how good they are...

I added a sunon to my jet7+, it works Awsome!

But my mobo is completely stock, except the bios.. still debateing about doing the L-12 too

Yeah i think D27 uses the best temp calculation, for accuracy, tho i like how D26 lied to me and told me things were cooler than they were :p

i take it u guys get some uber droop on your v-core right?

im set at 2v in bios and im at 1.95v when in windoes and im practicly idle

Back