• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC my PII?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jenko

I have just been gave a old dell optiplex gx1 and i wont to use it as a internet pc and the only problem i have is streaming video clips of the internet i.e wmw.
Im using win98 the pc has 128mb which is fine but i think the p2 266mhz isnt cutting it when streaming wmv's as it plays for a few secs when pauses and takes ages to startplaying again.

i can select different clock speeds using jumpers i 266(default),300,350,400,450 what can these old p2s actualy do?
Cooling shouldnt be a prob as it has a huge heatsink screwed onto it with a 60mm fan.

Streaming could also be down to the ati rage pro agpx2 onboard video?

I also have 2 jumpers called PSWD this has a jumper on, and BIOS this has no jumper on it?

Streaming videos also depends on your connection speed. Heck, I even have some starts and stops with my rig and cable connection sometimes. That said, a few of the early P-II processors had unlocked multipliers, but most were locked. So, you can try moving the jumper to 300, but that is probably just changing the multiplier. If your multiplier is locked, it will either not boot or it will run at the stock 266 speed (4X66). If you get lucky, maybe it will actually run at 300 (4.5X66 FSB). You generally can't do much overclocking with a Dell.

The streaming pauses when the cpu is at 100% for a short while

Yeah every jumper is a 0.5 multi, 266@300 seems to work great but 333 is wierd as the bus speed goes from 66 to 22 so the real clock speed is around 130 not 333.

Edit is there a clockgen for P2s at all?

So, 300 MHz (4.5X66) works? If so, then you have an unlocked processor. You might need a bump in voltage to run it higher. Default vcore should be 2.0v, but 2.1v to 2.2v is fairly safe. That mobo probably don't have voltage jumpers, but you might check anyway. I doubt Clockgen will work on that chipset, but maybe check out the softFSB program. Just for your info, starting at 350 MHz, the P-II went to the 100 FSB bus, so 350=3.5X100 and 400=4X100 etc. But, the newer 100 bus P-II was a different 25nm core (older 66 bus P-II's were 35nm), so I doubt your old 266 will do much more than about 333-350 even with extra voltage and good cooling.

Yeah 300mhz 4.5x66 works, i cant see any voltage jumpers and as you will know the dell bios doesnt have any vcore settings theres hardly anything to change in the bios apart from the date and time lol.
Theres also no ram settings and the ram is running at 66mhz 2-2-2, cpu-z says my ram is good for 2-2-2 upto 85mhz so using softfsb i have a extra fsb of 9 to play with:)

Strange how if i set 5x66=300mhz the bus speed changes from 66 to 22 could this be down to voltage, so my clock speed is actualy 5x22= 110mhz

Back