Thread: BTX version?

BTX version?

Hi guys. I'm building a PC for my client and I came across a BTX version Intel Pentium D 840 Smithfield, and a non-BTX version. The BTX version costs a bit more. Can someone explain to me what it is?

Also, since we're on the subject (well, not really but I don't want to start a million threads in other forums) can SATA 2 connectors on the motherboard also run harddrives that are SATA 150? Thanks for your help.

Edit: I also tried searching for it but for some reason the search page appears blank.

Edit2: Nm, the search page started working again. It appears that a BTX processor needs to have a BTX motherboard. Ok. I still want to know the answer to the second question tho.

you need a btx board with the btx cpu to make it work, and beyond that, a btx case and a btx power supply

so no, you're not better off with btx, since if its your client cost does matter

btx is another form factor, aka take a normal atx board and move all the componets around and then label it btx, supposedly more thermally friendly, though you'll need everything else to be btx to be able to use one btx componet since it depends on all the others

and yes, them sata ports are backwards compatible with sata 150

_

Thanks for your help!

i thought the processors were the same, its just the heatsink and motherboard/heatsink mounting holes that are different. am i wrong?
    Pentium 4 3.4E (SL7E6 D0 Step) @ 3.8 Ghz Stock vcore * Gigabyte 8KNXP Rev. 2.0 Mobo (i875) FK * 1.5 Gig Dual Channel 3200 Ram Samsung TCCC 3-3-3-6 1:1 * TTBT (Aerocool GateWatch) * Sapphire 9800 XT + ATI Sliencer 3 * OCZ Powerstream 600 Watt PSU
    .:..:.:.

"Sitting on a bench in the sunshine, Filling up my belly with some fine wine."

i thought the processor is the same just the heatsink was differnt?

see corrected statement below :P
    Last edited by jstutman; 09-17-05 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fAlCoNNiAn
    i thought the processors were the same, its just the heatsink and motherboard/heatsink mounting holes that are different. am i wrong?
    That is correct
    I always tell the truth even when I lie. - scarface
    I know it sounds like I'm in denial, but I'm not. - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by thegreek
    That is correct
    yeah here is some pics, i was wrong