• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you "pause" a gentoo installation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

I am looking at installing Gentoo linux, but part of the problem is I need to be able to use my computer at random intervals for homework, due to college

Is it possible to pause a gentoo installation, boot up using knoppix or another bootable distro so I can do things like type word documents and the such. then go back and resume my gentoo install or if I install gentoo am I just stuck without a computer for like 3 days

Thanks
TheGreySpectre

I would do the installation from inside Knoppix, then you have a working computer at all times as gentoo gets built.

If you prefer, you can stop the gentoo install at many points. To continue, put in the cd, chroot, and go on where you left off. However, this may require slightly more understanding of what exactly you're doing.

The gentoo installer cd really has little purpose other than being a linux compatible boot disk. Any linux boot disk that has network support works fine to install gentoo. In fact, my first gentoo install didn't even involve any gentoo media... I used a 1.44 mb fedora boot disk.

TheGreySpectre said:
I am looking at installing Gentoo linux, but part of the problem is I need to be able to use my computer at random intervals for homework, due to college

Is it possible to pause a gentoo installation, boot up using knoppix or another bootable distro so I can do things like type word documents and the such. then go back and resume my gentoo install or if I install gentoo am I just stuck without a computer for like 3 days

Thanks
TheGreySpectre
Well, sort of. You probably shouldn't stop the bootstrap process (it will start over from the beginning). You could stop during emerge system (or any point thereafter) and reboot into windows. To get back to the install you can boot from the CD, mount the partitions and chroot in again. Then, an emerge system will resume starting with the package you canceled (Ctrl+c).

Well, sort of. You probably shouldn't stop the bootstrap process (it will start over from the beginning). You could stop during emerge system (or any point thereafter) and reboot into windows. To get back to the install you can boot from the CD, mount the partitions and chroot in again. Then, an emerge system will resume starting with the package you canceled (Ctrl+c).

This is not quite true. This is true for most emerges, but emerge system is done with the --emptytree option so as to recompile even those packages that already exist. This means that it will start over from package 1 every time since it doesn't check if dependencies are already installed.

MRD said:
This is not quite true. This is true for most emerges, but emerge system is done with the --emptytree option so as to recompile even those packages that already exist. This means that it will start over from package 1 every time since it doesn't check if dependencies are already installed.

I don't remember having to do an emerge -e system. In that case, just use emerge --resume.

Gnufsh said:
I don't remember having to do an emerge -e system. In that case, just use emerge --resume.

Its new.

I just noticed it myself today when doing a new install on my T43.

so will I be able to remain in knoppix almost the entire time, IE to look at help files?

Yeah, until the part where you reboot into your gentoo install. Even then, you could boot back into knoppix and chroot before installing X/Gnome.

Cool I think Ill do that im going to mess around wiwth knoppix for another week or so to get more familiar with the linux enviroment

Back