• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

College student laptop worries

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenputernut1

Registered
Hey guys...I have developed a need for portability because i am in college now and always on the move. Therefore I am trying to put together a good laptop that can handle my html, java, and general word processing while also being able to provide for my GAMING NEEDS!!!!!!! LOL

I have built several desktops and am wondering if it is possible to do a custom laptop for the same cost reduction quality.

Also i need suggestions on what hardware u would suggest. I am an amd man and i usually use Radeon video, but whatever u suggest i will consider.

thanx fellas :shrug:

EDIT #1 Sorry fellas...budget is probably gonna be around $1100-1500 usd...am trying to sell a computer i recently built based on amd-64...depends on what i get for it

Last edited:
not cheap, period .. espescially when you compare the savings that you gain with desktops..

if you are handy with building i would suggest looking on ebay and various other sites to find laptops with burn mobo or whatever and then finding another with a bad monitor.. you get the idea... you can save alot that way but you definetly have to trust the seller ...

what is your budget ?

YA know I really must admit that during the entire school year my laptop never is more than 20 feet from me... (even when I'm sleeping) and my laptop is 8lbs 17" widescreen (just look at my sig[take note of battery life, 3dmark score, and amount of ram]) and I have never ever had any problems hauling it around... it just seems like an extera textbook in my bag to me...

I've only put about $1,500 into it.

here just look at this thread to check her out...
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=411706

all you have to do is wait around for a good dell cupon to strike and you can get one for $1300... the pin mod would cost ya about $40 (after buying a pin moddable processor and selling the one currently in the lappy) and an extera gig (to bring the total to 1.5gigs) would put ya at $1450 total

Thanx ozzlo..and i was just looking at dells sight today...and i was struggling between buying one to upgrade or buying a higher line...but i like ur specs better than dells...so ill give it some thought..thanx man

peace.. the nut :thup:

like ozzlo said, wait for a good coupon from dell and get a i9300. no other laptop will give you the combo of battery life and graphic power that the i9300 offers.

If you dont mind building one take a look at the ASUS Z71 or Z70 both have decent gaming potential and you can put a 400mhz cpu into and flip the jumper overclocking to 533fsb. I did this with a pin mod on my asus to get 2.27ghz out of my cpu.

PCTorque.com has Sager laptops that are really customizable. They also have great support if you're wondering, I got my 6800Go replaced after I overclocked it too much :D

I would try and hang on. With Dell comming out with a 14" with a decent dedicated gpu, might want to wait for that one. The 9300 is by far has the best bang for your buck for a Moblie laptop with Gamming power.

Thanx for the ideas guys...looked at Dell and at some whitebox Asus lappies...like both..even though dell would be less work to build, that is not really an issue to me....

I would really like to know which would do better for gaming... oc'ed or not...If i can play BF2 on it I can certainly do my html on it :)

Keep the ideas flowin guys :cool:

the nut

P.S. Fuzzba11 u are naughty :p

just so you know it only takes about 15min to set up an asus laptop. its super easy and you dont have to spend hrs uninstalling bundeld applications or format and reinstall windows and then hunt down drivers for the laptop.

its really not because they put all the stuff on the bottom, generaly you only need to remove 5-15 screws off the bottom pop in the cpu, pop in the memory and the wireless card. My hd did not require any mounting as its a just slips right in. it really only takes a few min and your done.

one thing I like about dell is that they use only 2 types of screws for taking the chassis apart... the long ones come out the bottom and the short ones come out of the palm rest it really makes it easy because you don't have to figure out which screw goes where... I can do a complete dissasembly of my 9300 in less than 10 minuiets (the first time it took me an hour and a half because I was nice and careful)... and that's completelly taking the lcd apart too... I got so good at it because my led mod kept shorting out when I was modding it and I had to keep going back inside to figure out what was shorting. (I have to blame myself for that little incident as I did a pretty shotty solder job the first time around...)

i have not yet taken appart my whole asus but so far every screw i have removed is the same. When i did my brothers ibook that was hell, something like 72 screws in 10 different sizes and threads just to upgrade the HD.

Back