• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Create desktop short cut using Java or something...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

palee72

OK.. another web question..

I've created an intranet site for our users to use. We want to idiot proof the "create desktop shortcut" process. What I want to do is, create a link, to an html page that will automaticly create a shortcut on the users desktop pointing to the intranet site.

In other words...

1) I send out an e-mail to all users with a link to the 'java page'
2) this page creates the shortcut on the users desktop for the intranet site
3) they can use the link to the intranet site.

Again.. this is for some of the users that say "How do you make a shortcut to a web page on the desktop? Can't I just make a book mark?

We don't want to encourage them clicking the 'Blue E' on their desktop, so we don't want to make it just a book mark.

Hope you can help soon.

thanks

Lee

OK.. so I'm also going to try to change the homepage..

I got this script, it kind of works. It changes the home page, the problem is it drops the '\' in the path.. Keep in mind, this is an intranet page..

Here is the script

<!--[if IE]>
<font face="Arial" size="3">
<A HREF="#"
onClick="this.style.behavior='url(#default#homepage)';
this.setHomePage('\\1webserver1\Intranet\intranet_main.htm');">Make The Intranet page your Home Page
</A>
</font>
<![endif]-->

The outcome is saving the home page as "http:///1webserver1Intranetintranet_main.htm"

notice it dropped the \ between 1webserver1 and intranet
and between intranet and intranet_main.htm

Who here is a script wizard?
I'm trying to make this as painless as possible for the user, and I've been pulling my hair out over this.. I'm learning this all on the fly.

Lee

Back