• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New computer, old upgrade to xp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nimblor

I am going to be rebuilding my computer soon, pretty much from scratch except the case and memory. I want to use SATA hard drives so the old IDE ones will be gone. I have a windows XP home upgrade disk that I used on my old computer to put xp over 98. Can I use this same disk to put XP on the new computer or am I better off buying an OEM version of XP?

So should I load windows 98 onto the drive or is there a way around that. I have been reading that there are some peculiarities with loading xp and SATA drives.

You don't need to load Win98. Just boot from your XP Upgrade CD. Make sure you have the proper SATA drivers for your mobo on a floppy. Shortly after Setup starts, it will prompt you to hit F6 to load SCSI or other hard disk drivers. Load the floppy & wait for Setup to ask you which drivers to install. Highlight the proper entry on the floppy & hit Enter. At some time during Setup, it will ask you to insert your Win98 CD. Do so. This is just M$'s way of making sure you have a valid copy of Win98. The rest of the install should be pretty straightforward.
-Dave

Back