• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My laptop arrived back from repair. Now I have a strange sound stutter.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Newman_SCO

I sent my laptop in for repair after my laptop ethernet port and my video memory was faulty.

The motherboard was replaced. 2nd hand (wearing around the s-video port)

The laptop sound stutters/stops for a millisecond and then continues when just working in windows with no extreme cpu usage. It also stutters in games for a millisecond now and again aswell.

I have updated my sound, video and chipset drivers. It is still there.
I checked smart health on both of my harddrives and they read 100% health.
I can't reinstall windows because I do not have the capacity to backup.
No spyware.

Before I return the laptop for the 4th time. Can you give any suggestions?

Bios update? The used replacement board could be running an older version.

Thank you for your replies.

My laptop was out of warranty. I won it.

A Bios update disabled the laptop from switching on.

Samsung tried the same bios on one of their Samsung M30 and totally disabled theirs.

-They agreed to repair it as it was their fault. Sent it off and received it back. 8-9 screws missing + dead pixel.
-I told them and they wanted it back to replace the screws. Even though I could do it. So I sent it back again.
-The laptop returned with the ethernet and graphics memory faultly. I expressed that I wanted a replacement. But asked me to send it back again.
-I received it back. Now the sound stutters and I hope to god it is a software configuration or driver problem.

Samsung make great laptops. But the company they use to repair their laptops is daft.

Any further suggestions greatly appreciated.

edit: To add. I forgot to mention the mouse freezes for a small moment, at the same time as the sound.

Well it sounds like a fresh install of Windows might fix it. Got a DVD burner, or lots of CDRs?

You are right moz.
The most sensible option in this situation is to reinstall. I have roughly 20 cdr's with me.
That makes 14gigs. 50 gigs to back up. I will have to make some sacrifices.
I will give it tackle tomorrow morning. But on a 16X (roughly 4mins a cd) that makes a 1 hour and 20 minute solid time back up. I hope blueray would hurry up! If the discs are cheap!

I will try the reinstall tomorrow if all goes well.

But if anyone else has an idea please pass it to me.

Thanks ;)

edit: [email protected]ks. I will have that as a backup plan. But the first repair took over 3 weeks. I am a computer science student and require my laptop 24/7. Hopefully a reinstall will work. Even though it is recent reinstall.

You could always backup over the network to your desktop rig, if that's possible for you?

Laptop thread...Laptop section. Please keep that in mind for next time. Have a good one.
:)

Matt

I deleted some of my mp3's. 11gigs! And moved my remaining data on to my 2nd harddrive.

Reinstalled windows. So far no problems at all.

My thought is.. that they did not reinstall windows after installing the new (2nd hand) motherboard. The board might of been ever so slightly different.

GTA:San andreas runs perfectly at high frame rates with no sound stutter now.

Thanks for your help. Fingers crossed it holds. :)

$50 dollars in america. $100 dollars in uk!

Always like that!
A news website:
"A gas station in Chatham, Ont., apparently jumped on the Rita bandwagon on Wednesday, charging a whopping $1.79 a litre at one point during the day. "

That is just above the standard price at the moment in the uk...

Back