• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How secure is your pc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm behind a router, and my dad and sister using the wireless part of my router. I'm only using the MAC-addresses as security on that, and I use ad-aware and the occasional trend micro online scan.

0 spyware and 0 viruses in I don't know how long on my PC. I use IE for all sites I trust like forums/banking site/e-mail, and Firefox/Opera for everything else with no cookies enabled and most of the Active-X stuff disabled.

secured as much as I need WRT54GS w/ talisman firmware and at least 8 open ports for various thing never experience any spyware or viruses

my dads pc:
win98
zonealarm (free version)
avg av
spybot s&d
adaware
firefox
My pc (connected to net only through router/proxy to dads pc)
gentoo linux (so no need for av)
guarddog (firewall)
and in case anyone DOES find out how to get to my pc...
ethereal (for proof of attempted hack)
nmap (so i can find their weak spots)
(some other app...) so i can crack their pw's
(some other other app.) so if their running nt/2k/xp i can change their pw's
(same names as above) so i can break their routers password
and a bunch of other cool junk like that...
btw, the names of some apps above have been "altered" so i don't let the cat out of the bag, oh one more app...
honeyd for making it appear as though our network is a huge network, and automatically starts logging as soon as its penetrated.
in case you hadn't guessed, i'm into all the networking/spoofing/hacking stuff (hacking in the good sense) its amazing how easy it is to break these passwords, with a dictionary attack, I've been playing about with it (with my own pc's of course) and i cracked my own password in under 5sec!!!

Hey, nobody's gonna mess with my computer. I live in Joisey, see. Anyone messes wit it I call my cousin T and fogetaboutit! Da only thing they'll mess then is dem selves. :D
Seriously, I'm behind a router firewall. I don't keep my antivirus running. I just scan weekly. Spybot scans are also done weekly and I send T a case of good Scotch every Christmas.:) I rarely have a problem.

Most people are under the impression that antivirus/firewall is what you need to keep your PC secured. Most firewalls actually make your computer more vulnerable. For example, running the Windows Firewall might block a rookies DoS attack but I can use it to gain control of your system if you're logged in with administrative privileges. Norton has a backdoor on its firewall for remote administration that can be exploited. The list goes on...

Other than viruses, most people are "hacked" through the software running on their system. All it takes is one single process running that is susceptible to a buffer overrun and you just gave away the control of your system. A system is only as secure as the software you're running on it.

I use Avast Antivirus and sygate personal firewall. For spyware i use spybot and adwareSE. Oh and being on a dialup connection helps to since my ip changes every time i log in and off of the internet and with my isp that could be anytime.

With my old computer that still works i surf with a 14.4k modem windows 95 no updates what so ever, and IE 3.0. God knows if i got anything on there but it runs so damn slow i doubt i would be able to tell.

Man, some of you need to re-evaluate your browsing pratices - or are just WAY over peranoid

sure if you got P2P i would have everything and the kitchen sink installed! but i dont so no worries, right now i am running behind windows firewall onyl as my router FUBAR'd and no AV or spwyare apps - no probs and i know when i stop being lazy and install them i will find nothing :)

Kapersky Anti V ahs gotten some high rating these days, it is what i use on my laptop. I hate Avast - starts TOO many process for each of it's features and uses too much ram for each.

I'm not worried about hackers, more worried about TC . Windows just gets less and less secure every time they make a new os. Windows firewall is useless, just keeps safe programs from working.

-maddog- said:
I'm not worried about hackers, more worried about TC . Windows just gets less and less secure every time they make a new os. Windows firewall is useless, just keeps safe programs from working.

Windows firewall is actually "ok" it blocks ANYTHING incoming, but outgoing it does nothing.

I do know it doesnt always seem to pop up asking to let programs in, but other times i play a game and i get the window asking me to allow it or not, but i am already in the game and playing online.

I'd like to think mine is secure. I have all services turned of via "services.msc" that I don't need. I have a "hardware firewall" and a software firewall. Just enough to make it not worth their time if they want in.

If a dedicated attacker was after my system, I don't doubt they could get in. I don't exactly know how they'd get in, but I don't doubt it is possible. Otherwise, all the fortune 500 companies out there would just slap 50$ routers on their systems and tell the security guys to go home. There are numerous exploits for these SOHO routers.

Back