• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

battlefield 2 network performance problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nealric

I know there is a giant bf2 issues thread, but I figure nobody will look at it anymore.

Anyways, Ive been experienceing an infuriating problem. This is intermittent, but seems to be happening more and more. After between 30sec and 5min of gameplay I get the connection problems error and loose the connection to the server.
Up until that point, I have a perfect connection with low ping. My bandwith tests at 5megs down, 1meg up. I did a few pings, no packet loss :shrug:

I suspect that the problem lies with the university network I am on, but they do not have any anti game policy, and it played fine with desert combat the last few years.

Anything I can do to help the problem, settings to change, config files to edit?

I know exactly what your talking about. Sometimes I find it to be the server resetting as I'll go back and going the same server and it'll have 10 people there, compared to almost 64 that were there. Other times it's the server that lags because everyone starts to complain. Then there is times where I just have a gut feeling that is it's the university's network because no one else is experienceing it except my friend who's in another dorm on campus here.

its definetly on my end of things. If I get back on- everyone is still there. I just cant figure out why it dosent lag at all until I get the conection problems.

Just wondering what is your connection setting in BF2?

I switched mine from lan/T1 to 256kbs/cable or better and seemed to help somewhat.

Our dorms are only wired with 10m and there are a lot of people on the network, so when internet traffic picks up, you can notice a change while downloading stuff. I've been getting decent pings like 44 and the game still remains laggy, so sometimes I just don't know.

I get the exact same problem and so far I have reinstalled network drivers, updated firmware on my router, had rcn replace my amplifier and ummm I'm sure there's more. Some one has to know something.

I don't think the problem is on your end. There are ample people, myself included, with kick butt computers and a nice Inet connection that continually get the "There is a Problem with Your connection" message. I don't even try to play on Linux based servers anymore since I seem to have more trouble with those than any other.

Hopefully, there will be a fix in the upcoming patch.

That's going to be a combination of network speed and port issues. Almost all campuses are going to close all ports except for the essentials. Battlefield 2 uses a large range of ports when you connect to a game. Since your network is restricting most of the ports you use, your stuck only getting bandwidth through a select few that you can get a connection through NAT. Try playing when people arn't up and messing around with their computers (early in the morning, afternoon maybe?) and if your connection is still troublesome then, well, your out of luck.

Also, there's always a chance you have a few happy torrenters on your network. If they do not limit the number of connections to their systems, it will lag out an entire network.

Back