East of L.A. :The Bad Traffic Capitol of the World

what's the deal with MBM5?

Okay, I was playing around with some settings in my MBM5 (the fans and temps) and I noticed something odd. In the part for both sections where it says "should display board sensor", I started changing some of the LM85 settings to see what would happen, and it now shows me higher speeds for the HSF and 2 case fans, and lower temps for my cpu and chipset than I've ever seen.

For the temps, I have case/chipset/cpu set on LM85-1. Same for all three fans readouts... Now all my fans are reading over 2400 rpms, where they were showing various numbers before. And the case/chipset/cpu temps now all read 33-35*C idle, where it usually showed 41-44* idle temps, which is what I thought they were until now. Now I'm not sure...

So, okay...does this program actually control fan speeds? And I'm guessing that changing the ones for the chipset/cpu must activate other sensors?? Because if I change the cpu/chipset back to LM85-2, then it shows the idle temp at about 44-45 and the fans are still showing over 2400 while on the LM85-1 setting.

So what gives? How can I tell if this thing is giving me accurate info?, especially when I thought it was before. Is my cpu running at 34 or 44? And is there any certain way I should set these things?

If anyone can help me on this I'd be grateful.

Thank you, karl pell...I just looked at my board disc and it does have the utility you mentioned. I think I will be giving it a look tomorrow. I didn't even know such a thing existed. It will be interesting to see what it has to say.

I installed the Intel Active Monitor, and these are the results as I write:

Processor Zone: 44-46*C
    System Zone 1: 33-34*C
    System Zone 2: 34-35*C

System Fan 1: 2455-2469
    System Fan 2: 1640-1652
    System Fan 3: 595-604

+12V :12.000-12.125
    +5V: 5.130-5.156
    +3.3V: 3.369
    CPU Core: 1.341-1.353
    CPU I/O +1.5V: 1.484-1.497

Oh yes...those alarms are pretty annoying. I got my first experience hearing them when I had pulled the stock HSF off just to see how it was done (before I got my Zalman). This is sorta funny, but it didn't seem funny at the time....

I pulled it off the bracket, looked at it and went, "Oh, that's pretty cool". When I was done gawking at my HSF, I replaced it and locked it down. I hooked the rig back up and turned it on only to have it scream at me. I was like WTF? I got this weird message about a thermal event, and the rig shut down. I turned it on again, and got the message again. This senario repeated a few more times. It was at this point that I recalled hearing ppl here talking about thermal grease and paste. I realized that I broke the original thermal seal and that is why my poor rig is yelling at me. The next day, I bought some generic thermal grease and put it on the HS, replaced it and then I had no more screaming. My rig was happy again...but was still wishing for a new HSF, LOL! Thank God for protective thermal shutdown!