• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why no DVI in mini-ITX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamespetts

Why do all current mini-ITX boards have the anachronistic VGA connectors, instead of the current DVI connectors? Does anybody actually use CRT any more? (All right, I am typing this message on a computer with a CRT, but that is only because this is an old backup system whose monitor dates from 1999...). Surely it'd be easier for the mini-ITX designers to put a DVI interface on there, rather than have to squeeze in a big RAMDAC?

In fact I personally only know one person that has an LCD and that's because its a Dell and it came with it.

Then again I don't really know any gadget freaks, they just work on their computers. I'd like to get one to replace my 19" CRT but someone's giving me their old 21" so I guess I'll wait awhile.

James, to answer your question, not many onboard graphics card (if at all) have a DVI port, for the simple fact they aint popular enough and their is a still a majourity of people using Analogue monitors. but saying that, their is a DVI to VGA converter, i think its only a matter of time before they catch up.

Skeen, i have a LCD monitor ;) But its not DVI :p

Oh. Are there CRT's with DVI? I've never really invested much time to the study of displays other than to find out how big it is, how much resolution can it provide and the highest refresh rate.

Hmm... well, when I move out of my parents' house, I want to put a computer inside a toaster to have in the kitchen (and have the DVD drive eject through the toast slots), and they'd better have DVI in mini-ITX by then: I just don't do inferior image quality...

Skeen said:
Oh. Are there CRT's with DVI? I've never really invested much time to the study of displays other than to find out how big it is, how much resolution can it provide and the highest refresh rate.

All CRT's use VGA or highend, RGB (5 seperate cables) - but you can buy "analogue" (vga) LCD's - pointless really.

I would assume they don't bother with a DVI on them because it would likely cost more and they tend to be used in very small format situations such as automotive use or racks with small 7-8" displays that don't have DVI, though some of the do have an LVDS connector for a direct digital hookup to an LCD panel.

I'm not sure that they "tend to be" used primarily in those situations, although, no doubt, they're more likely to be used in such a situation than anything else is.

But what is this LDVS, exactly? What kind of monitor can one connect to it? Anything other than the rinky-dink ones for cars?

How about another answer: The connector is larger, costs more, and would be difficult to fit on such a tiny board. In the PCB space required to place a DVI connector they could instead put VGA and a composite output.
But what is this LDVS, exactly? What kind of monitor can one connect to it?
LVDS is an LCD screen interfacing and signalling standard and will allow you to direct-connect to a wide variety of LCD panels. Unfortunately however, finding the required cables to do so is ridiculously hard so few people bother. The option is really added for systems integratration.

Back