• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

smallest case for atx mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FrEaK44

what is the smallest case you've seen that will fit a full sized atx mobo?
it needs to fit one cd drive,one hard drive and full sized psu.it will be air cooled with xp 120.width must be wide enuff to fit a agp 6600gt. i do have a riser card,if nessicary.

thanks,
FrEaK44

I have an older ATX case somewhere that is like only (from memory, haven't seen it in a while) 14" high, 6.5" wide, and something like 18" deep. Holds 2x 5.25" and 3x 3.5" (1 hidden) and can accomodate 6 full size add on card*. The only drawback with that case is the PSU is mounted 90 degree from typical PSU mounting so the mobo slides behind the PSU but it sits perilously close to where CPU would normally be. Because of this, air cooling sucks badly and some after market CPU cooler may not fit at all. This is the reason the case is still sitting rusting away out of my sight.

*I have not seen any PCI card that is 12", most rarely go over 7". Why do many ATX cases have card holder along the front of the case if they are not used?

I would like to point at that trying to fit that part list into a "small" case is futile. ATX cases come in the sizes they do because going any smaller seriously compromises cooling effectiveness and presents too many problems. Having made small cases for myself I DO NOT advise trying to cram ATX into a small space. If you need portability, insisting on using full-size ATX is self-defeating.

If however you would like to reduce the weight of your machine I can say from experience that your BEST option would be to research 4U Aluminum rackmount chassis' which will give you enough space in a more managable shape and balance. Simply having handles in the right places and the weight evenly distributed will have almost as much of an impact on portability (when it comes to LANning) as trying to reduce size would.

This is the rackmount case I'm using and if you're selective about the parts you use it's an EXTREMELY portable ATX case that will last you a long time. If you want to evenly distribute the weight simply install your drives in the lower drive cages (when it's standing like a regular tower).
ipc4080b.jpg

$107 shipped at: http://www.cmicomputer.com/cgi-bin/quikstore.cgi?product=ipcpw4080b&detail=yes

I paid twice that price when I got mine and I still feel it was worth it.

Last edited:
thegreek said:
Antec Lanboy is the smallest case that can fit a full size ATX MB
Some of the Silverstone cases are MUCH smaller, but they can't accomodate the full-size drives he also listed as being requirements.

Back