• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram Water Block design

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dukemurmur

Well water cooling ram has always interrested me an I have always though that there was a abetter way than what i have seen so i came up with my own design to be used with chilled water. With chilled water the top will be copper unless someone knows of a clear low temp plastic as insulation wont be used because I am making a nitrogen sealed box so that you can see the block and all.

There is another block for the back side and the last two screw holes screw them together and the notches in the back ar to go over the locking tabs.

ramandblocks7.jpg

ramandblocks6.jpg

ramandblocks5.jpg

top3.jpg

top2.jpg

Duke

Hmm, interesting Idea it is. Only one question comes to mind (For now) is wouldnt it cause a bit too much stress on the ram chips? It just seems to me that Copper + tubing + screws + water on both sides would be a bit much for such a small piece.

Maybe some way to support the weight by adding feet or stands to the bottom of it that touch the motherboard or even the plastic part the ram sits in.

Also, wont those be a bit large? I know for my motherboard there is like 3 cm between each ram slot. Those definitly look awesome though, where are you going to get them machined?

I am goign to do the maching on CNC i have full e acses to a CNC shop a Desktop CNC at school in the class and a mill and lathe at my house so i am all set with that i am in a cad engineering design class...I am working on a new thinner proto that has the same area as half in but is thinner like a slit abd BTW these are for DFI NF4 boards and there is well over an inch in dual channle mode for the wb to be placed.

Duke

The only change I wold make is to have only one inlet and outlet and split the flow to both sides. This will make it low prifile enough to be used on about any board and will reduce the stress on ram.

With a sealed box that is purged with nitrogen...I am going to weld Al togeter (yes you can weld Al and not only with a tig I have a Al sleeve for a lil mig welder my bud has) Then I have the nitrogen to purge it my mobo and gfx card and all will b in it.

Duke

I have though about a cross over plat so that would happen but fo me i am looking for flow and this will work fine for me although i do have a few design revs that i am working on...

Duke

I think you are trying to make the waterblock too good for its application. (If that is possible) Even the hottest ram doesn't put out too many watts. In a chilled water expiriment I did before, I found that a sinlge copper tube silversoldered along the length of a 1/8" copper plate was enough to get my ram to within a degree or two of my water temps.

To make the ubersimple waterblock, cut an eight inch piece of 1/4" copper tube and bent it to make a |__| shape with the bottom being four inches long. When I bent the tube it didn't sit flat on the plate so I put it between to boards and crushed about a 1/16th of an inch in a vise so there would be an absolutely flat side to work with. I then soldered it to a 5.25" x 1" "1/8" copper plate. I used to of these on each stick of ram and used steel clips that I made to hold them onto the ram.

I wish I had a picture of the ram coolers but I threw it out after making a peltier based chiller.

You can still get good flow by only having 1 inlet. You just run the two pieces of ram in parralel. Inside the block just make it have micro channels like the white water block. Depending on the width of the channels you would get great performance for minimal pressure drop. Like labrat said, it does not take much to cool the ram.

Dukemurmur said:
With a sealed box that is purged with nitrogen...I am going to weld Al togeter (yes you can weld Al and not only with a tig I have a Al sleeve for a lil mig welder my bud has) Then I have the nitrogen to purge it my mobo and gfx card and all will b in it.
How will you cool the parts that aren't watercooled? Such as the voltage regulators on the motherboard.

They will be water cooled just not chilled water water i have all the parts for a normal water cooled setup...Like the ram fets and the cpu fets will be water cooled the nb will be chilled water and there will be 2 fans in the nitrogen purged box just to move the air around the Al sides will disapate that much heat from the few things in there.

Duke

Ps. over engineering mabey but hey i am also part of procooling and XS so nithing is too extreme and i ahve the excess to CNC so why not? As for the micro channels like a WW that is just too much the 2 channels i have in there will be more that enough for the chilled water to flow over...

They dont necissarily have to be microchannels. I just dont think that having two inlets will be worth it. You would get better cooling I think just using 1 inlet because the pressure will be a little higher with minimal loss in flow rate if you do both blocks in parallel.

Back