• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new inpiron xps!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Incorrect actually. nVidia is doing some seriously misleading marketing on the GO 7800 GTX. Let me explain. When they say it is twice as powerful, they are compairing the 7800 to the GO 6800 NON ULTRA, when they say it uses the same power comsumption they are comparing it to the 6800 ULTRA. In essence, they are comparing 2 different aspects of the 7800 to 2 different 6800 cards, of course each to make the 7800 look better.

oh, i see! thanks for clearing that up. i still think it seems like its going to be really powerful. the new inspiron xps are already on dell.com but the ones with the 7800gtx go also seem a bit expensive (like over 3k for an average system). hopefully they will come down in price in the near future.

This has been big news over at the notebook forums because supposidly some member has managed to break the bios update protection so you can install the xps 2 bios on the 9300... (supposidly the guy has managed to get a 6800 ultra working in his 9300) which would mean for me... another intense modding project with the end result of a Overclocked 7800 GTX GO inside my 9300... I can smell 7500 05 marks....

It all depends on weather that guy actually has done what he said or if he just made everything up...

Why would anyone pay over $3000. for a laptop when they could get the same power in a desktop for half the $$? Unless space was a serious issue.....

Because it's much easier to go to a lanparty with a 10 lb in one piece computer than taking 3 or more pieces weighing 30+ lbs.

they're also pretty handy when the power goes out or on long boring car rides...

plus $3000 is the base price... There is always a big discount going on each week...

Well by far this year the 9300 was the best bang for your buck. I think 3000 is a bit much to be spending, but there are ppl out there. I just Dell offers some kind of upgrade for the 9300 users. I would take a 7800GT Go card any day :) 6800 is a good gpu, but 12 pipes and DDR1 will not last.

will other companies get this graphics chip to use or will it be exclusive to dell for awhile. i seem to remember that happening with the go 6800ultra when it was released. or am i wrong? :shrug:

You cant compare a dekstop to a laptop - 2 very diff things

Why spend 3k on a desktop when i can get a portable laptop, high res LCD screen - battery powered system for the same price and i can take it anywhere anytime.

Mr.Guvernment said:
You cant compare a dekstop to a laptop - 2 very diff things

Why spend 3k on a desktop when i can get a portable laptop, high res LCD screen - battery powered system for the same price and i can take it anywhere anytime.
I agree, laptops are gonna soon catch up to desktops were its only gonna be cost that they will differ.

my inspiron 9100 is about as good as the old desktop i had - only diff even though i had a 7200 RPM 60g HD it still seemed slow, but i am sure 1g of ram over 512 would be fine in this baby,

Video cards have come a long way for laptops - with %80 of parts being replaceble now in laptops - they are moer appealing - now if more makers made repalcement parts for laptops.

Back