• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCforums dream machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ls7corvete

Ok what do you guys want in a WCing system?

Im not saying what parts do you want, but what do you want in your dream system?

Performance?
Price?
Size?
noise?

What is gonna satisfy the most amount of people with the least amount of sacrifices?

Think outside the box but think realisticaly. Dont feel limited by what current by what is currently offered. Set standurds so that manucatures can live up to what we really want.

I have some ideas, I will see what others have to day first.

First off I want a screw pump (positive displacement pump) designed for water cooling (current ones are too strong) for under $80. It also has to be quiet because I know some people *cough*VR*cough* hate noise so its a must.

Some nice teflon coated tubing (for minimal friction losses) can be found on www.mcmaster.com it can be used for water, its strong and has a low coefficient of friction and its strong as heck. Finally I want it for $.37 a foot.

A pure diamond water block (probably based on the Storm G7 design) (ok that one is just dreaming but it would be cool, I guess a silver Storm G7 would be awesome). Pricing around $45 would be nice for this (can't be too expensive you know).

Finally I would like a PA160 built for 4 120mm fans (PA160 just 4 times as large). Ok so basically this would give very good performance and silence. Pricing should be around what a PA160 is now.

SewerBeing said:
Some nice teflon coated tubing (for minimal friction losses) can be found on www.mcmaster.com it can be used for water, its strong and has a low coefficient of friction and its strong as heck. Finally I want it for $.37 a foot.

Would you use this to lower the diameter of the tubbing you use or simply improve flow with the current size you use?

Well we're kind of at the limits of what can be done with modern materials. The G7 is about as good as a waterblock can get with current technology. 160.2 wouldn't be bad.

What I'm really hoping to see is tht TEC based chiller from cathar along with some hardware to keep it above the dew point.

ls7corvete said:
Would you use this to lower the diameter of the tubbing you use or simply improve flow with the current size you use?

well the lower friction losses are good. You can use 1/2" ID and 5/8" OD (which is all I'm finding on mcmaster) because its stronger. The only downside is its very stiff tubing (5" bend radius on 1/2" ID or 4" if you go with 7/16"). It should theoretically lower friction losses allowing for higher flow and be thinner.

I have thought about a case that would have one side of it that has some kind of passively cooled rad built into it. We add rads to our cases to cool, yet the largest amount of surface area is the case itself. So instead of having to bolt a car rad to the side of my case, it would be nice for the car rad or something of the like to BE the side of the case, namely the MB side. Silence is what I enjoy.

Also, a DC inline pump that is completely noise shielded and does not need airflow so that it would be dead silent.

A TEC based chiller small enough to fit into a 5 1/4 bay or so and still cool an entire PC would be nice.

I want:

7/16" tubing that's teflon, though with a sort of bead-blasted interior for less laminar flow. Dark Green.

A 1 1/2" diameter waterblock that doesn't dwarf my processor, with a bridge type mounting bracket with a pivot in the middle, so that mounting force is centered always. 7/16" gozinta and gozoutta. Polypropylene barbs in a V formation to allow a center pivot.
And is it too much to ask for one that functions well and looks like art instead of something made by a high school machinist?

A Danfoss water zone pump made for boiler heating systems, with an on/off switch mounted at my desk.

A 75' x 3/4" copper tube ground loop for geo-thermal cooling.

A Torin style blower with a large 12v Panaflo or Delta type motor, all plastic, with a speed control built in. For case air circulation.

A shroud to mount said blower on a bonneville heatercore, so that I can cool the case air and avoid condensation in my airtight case.

That dark haired DADA from Law and Order to sit on the corner of my desk and tell me how impressive it all is :D .

Quiet Reliable and Powerfull.

Last edited:
I want a cooling system that can double as a still for moonshine! :D Pour in fresh ingredients, let them simmer off CPU heat (while keeping CPU from cooking itself!) and then drain the finished result.
4.gif

I'm sure it'll taste better if I ran Linux as opposed to Windows.

Cathar said:
I want to paint a tuna with a cough lozenge, whilst practising yoga in a sauna.

aaaaaaaaahahahaha!

Choose a tower case that looks like a shopping trolley - so whether you're storing groceries or not you've got rice inside and out. Choose low fat calorie free biodegradable coolant. Choose a 5 fan hometheatre style watercooling tower. Choose dancing fans thats move to the beat of your lifestyle. Choose ricecooling™!

Hell, id like to see a mounting mech that doesnt take much to get right, nor removing the motherboard to do it...

Cathar said:
I want to paint a tuna with a cough lozenge, whilst practising yoga in a sauna.

Interpreting his illness induced delirium, I think he meant to say that his pump ideas run something like this.

Cathar said:
* 20' or 6.5mH2O (~9.5PSI) of peak pressure at dead-head
* 3.5gpm or 13.5lpm of peak flow
* 11.5' or 3.5mH2O of pressure head at 2gpm or 7.5lpm (**)
* 12vdc
* 25dBA noise level at most
* 20W peak power consumption at (**) flow/pressure noted above (preferably less)
* Maximum of 10x10x10cm bounding box size, including barbs, preferably even smaller

my dream machine is in my sig... and its completed now :attn:

all i'd change is the G5 to a G7, and the Fusion HL to a jet-impengement GPU water block (if someone ever makes one... **hint hint** Cathar)

quad-card crossfire with what comes after r520 since it's a bust. Each card with a two stage cascade. quad dual-core opteron, three stage auto-cascade each. 12gb ram with 10gb set up as a ram-drive.

Oh, you mean realisticly....

Something with SMP performance (dual xeon/opteron or x2) with >=2gb ram, 10k hard drive, good video card, x850xt at least, maybe two... Silent and in the size of this case or smaller: http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=93703.

I have all but the size and silence. I'm almost to silence though ;) (undervolt fans, wrap pumps in foam)

ls7corvete said:
Interpreting his illness induced delirium, I think he meant to say that his pump ideas run something like this.

My idea of a dream water-cooling system goes beyond the pump.

It involves an integrated dual-pump TEC water-chiller thingy inside a 5.25" CD-ROM sized package, allowing the user to set water temps either relative to the dew point, relative to ambient, or at an absolute temperature, so the users could say "hold the water at 10C", "hold the water at 5C below ambient", or "hold the water at 3C below dew-point", the reasoning here being that there's always a thermal gradient between the water and the air because of the tubing/fittings, etc, and so it is generally safe to hold the water a couple of C below the dew point.

Oh, and this unit would use pumps like the Laing DDC's, with modified inlets of course, and be near silent.

Anyway, so this integrated pump/chiller package means that all you need to do is to hook up the "hot-side" loop to a single 120mm radiator, and the cold-side loop of course just goes to your regular cooling loop.

Using multiple high-powered TEC's, but being run at lower voltages so we can achieve pretty much phase-change efficiencies, such a little box will blur the lines between phase-change and water-cooling.

Everything else in the loop has pretty much maxed out IMO, unless we're talking fantasies, but I'm more interested in achievable dreams.

Cathar said:
My idea of a dream water-cooling system goes beyond the pump.

It involves an integrated dual-pump TEC water-chiller thingy inside a 5.25" CD-ROM sized package, allowing the user to set water temps either relative to the dew point, relative to ambient, or at an absolute temperature, so the users could say "hold the water at 10C", "hold the water at 5C below ambient", or "hold the water at 3C below dew-point", the reasoning here being that there's always a thermal gradient between the water and the air because of the tubing/fittings, etc, and so it is generally safe to hold the water a couple of C below the dew point.

Oh, and this unit would use pumps like the Laing DDC's, with modified inlets of course, and be near silent.

Anyway, so this integrated pump/chiller package means that all you need to do is to hook up the "hot-side" loop to a single 120mm radiator, and the cold-side loop of course just goes to your regular cooling loop.

Using multiple high-powered TEC's, but being run at lower voltages so we can achieve pretty much phase-change efficiencies, such a little box will blur the lines between phase-change and water-cooling.

Everything else in the loop has pretty much maxed out IMO, unless we're talking fantasies, but I'm more interested in achievable dreams.

Hhhmmm, what about a c-systems type pump? Replaceable impellors would allow a high flow setup for the hot side part of the loop and a high head setup for the cold side part of the setup.

PWNT: I was thinking more along the lines of WCing.

Im seeing more TEC and convience replies than I thought we would....

Here is what I would like to see. I would like to see a setup that would fit into 3xOptical bays or on top of the case depending on the configuration(different bezels or something like that). In that space you gotta fit the equivalent of 2x120 rad performance and noise, doesnt have to be 120 fans, I see blowers having a size advantage here. You also gotta fit a 120v pump , a transformer to power a TEC with enough power to cool CPU and GPU. We also need a TEC or set of TECs that can cool any CPU with the results and efficiency I saw with my 320w unit at 5v.

Combine that with the control system Cathar talked about and you can make me a pretty happy guy.

Back