• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What does your San Diego core s939 Opteron overclock to?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What does your San Diego core s939 Opteron overclock to?

• Total voters

Gnerma

These could be the next big thing for overclockers, lets find out if they're really that great. Please only post rock solid stable clocks, none of these "superPI 1mb ok but fails prime" clocks. This is not up for discussion. If you want to start an 'unstable clocks' poll you're free to ask any senior member or moderator to start you one. What is a stable overclock? Well, we all have our different definitions so ask yourself this; Is this the clock speed I plan on staying with and wouldn't be concerned running any type of app no matter how critical? If you think your chip can do more given a little effort on your part, you might want to wait on voting.

If you vote, please post this additional info it is very important:

• The performance rating of your Opteron (for example: 144, 146 etc)
  • The stepping code, and date of manufacture of your CPU (for example: CABNE 0530)
  • The max case temp of your CPU.
  • The overclocked MHz and MULTIxHTT of your CPU (for example: 2800 Mhz, 311x9)
  • Cooling (be as detailed as possible)
  • Voltage
  • Temps (idle/load/ambient)
  • Motherboard + BIOS revision
  • Power Supply
  • What testing you've done to ensure stability
  • Screenies!
  • Anything else you think is relevant

Please no "info in sig" or "see sig" kinds of posts. Type the information out into the body of your message. This ensures the archive value of this thread. This is a public poll so others will be able to see what option you picked.

Thanks go to OC Detective for first spying the amazing potential of these chips, you can find his thread here. Also thanks go to The_Coolest and petr for figuring out the max case temp value hidden in revision E AMD chips. That thread is again, here.

Last edited by a moderator:
IWasHungry said:
The 939 Opterons are San Diego core AFAIK, not "Venus" lol.
Same core, different codename. The 1xx series s939 Opterons ARE Venus core parts.

http://www.a1-electronics.net/AMD_Section/CPUs/AMD_Roadmap.shtml
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19861

EDIT - After looking around a bit more it's unclear to me which name AMD has assigned to these chips. At this point I don't think it matters much but of course if it ends up being San Diego I'll get it changed. Also, don't take reports from CPUID apps as anything to rely upon.

Last edited:
I recalled seeing Venus on the roadmap before, but wasn't sure.
I suppose this is an either/or situation. We'll know the official name pretty soon...either from AMD itself or from resellers listing it as "San Diego" or "Venus".

I have seen people call it a Venus core but unless say the socket 940 90nm 1 ways (true Venus) have exactly the same code as the 939 counterparts and hence the same code as the current San Diegos then I cant see how they can be called that.

Just as clarification that the 90nm socket 940 1 ways are the true Venus see here (the term Venus being used for socket 940 90nm back in November 2003!).

http://epscontest.com/AMDroadmaps/oldmaps.htm

The thing is the mask set used is the same as that for the San Diego (as evidenced by the stepping code). When that stepping code changes it is an indication that AMD have changed the mask set, or at a minimum some mask layers. So basically they use the same mask set as the san diego but it is manufactured, tested and validated using Opteron standards - you could argue then it is neither a san diego or a venus!

Last edited:
This sounds like the perfect time to Ask AMD™. Or at least it would be if AMD's registration system hadn't just royally ****ed me off to the point where I don't even care anymore :)

I'm not going to add to the poll but I will just add to the discussion. So far it's stable @ 280x10 1:1 with stock volts.

* OSA146BWBOX
* CABNE 0530 APMW (i think ti's APMW it's the first batch anyways)
* The max case temp of your CPU. = find out later
* 280x10
* XP90 w/ 92mm Panaflo U1A
* Temps: 30C//35-38C//37C
* MSI Neo4 Plat/Non-SLi // Bios: unsure
* Mem: G.Skill LE Week 440
* Forton Blue Storm 500w
* What testing you've done to ensure stability - SP1M w/ Prime95 at the same time no errors

here's a tasty SS. i just popped it in and oc'd it right out the box

If this isn't sufficiently relevant to this thread you can delete it. I can't do any further testing because I've had a seriously bad day and I dont feel like it :mad: so I'll try to shoot it out some more tomorrow.

Yeah I'm going to opt out of the poll right now because I might get higher stable but

Opteron 144 Boxed/Retail
CABNE 0530APMW
Max Case Temp 67C
2800 Mhz 311x9
How brew Water cooling based on a Thermaltake Aqua II, but with Hydor Pump and Koolance Water Block
~1.47-1.49(MSI Voltage reg is pitiful)
Idle 41C, Load 48C, Ambient 29C
MSI Neo 4 Plat SLI BIOS 3.7(Actually 1.7 for Diamond but they are the same)
Athena Power 500W
Well it will do a 32M PI and play games at 1.42-1.44v but to get Large FFT to run all night I had to bump it up to 1.47-1.49V. Primed for 6 hours and then I turned it off. Another reason I haven't voted yet.
http://home.comcast.net/~aicjofs/144.jpg
I can be in Windows and do light work at 2950Mhz but it will fail Prime in 1st minute and 1M PI around loop 11. So I'm not hopeful of much past 2800 at this point. Still it's about what I would expect if I bought a 3700+ SD, but about $110 cheaper.

asianguy80: Great clocks, keep playing with it. By the way your screenie link links to the same thumbnail ;)

aicjofs said:
~1.47-1.49(MSI Voltage reg is pitiful)
So you've no way of getting that voltage any higher? How do your temps compare to your Venice?

Gnerma said:
Same core, different codename. The 1xx series s939 Opterons ARE Venus core parts.

http://www.a1-electronics.net/AMD_Section/CPUs/AMD_Roadmap.shtml
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19861

EDIT - After looking around a bit more it's unclear to me which name AMD has assigned to these chips. At this point I don't think it matters much but of course if it ends up being San Diego I'll get it changed. Also, don't take reports from CPUID apps as anything to rely upon.
That would be a Negative.
The s939 Opteron is NOT a Venus. It is San Diego:
1. Works in s939 boards.
2. Is has the same CPUID as San Diego A64: 20F71.
That's more than enough to convince me that these are in fact San Diegos. Venus have 20F5x CPUID.

My 3700+ San Diego that I just recieved yesterday from New Egg will boot into Windows at 11 X 280 (3080 Mhz), runs programs at 11 X 277 (3047 Mhz) and is now running totally stable at 11 X 270 (2970 Mhz). I'm using just a Zalman CNPS7700 Cu. I'll most likely get a better cooler later in an effort to get over 3 Ghz stable but for now I'm happy.

My old 3500+ New Castle would only do 11 X 238 (2618 Mhz) stable so I expected maybe 2750 Mhz at the most from this 3700+.

toymaker said:
My 3700+ San Diego that I just recieved yesterday from New Egg will boot into Windows at 11 X 280 (3080 Mhz), runs programs at 11 X 277 (3047 Mhz) and is now running totally stable at 11 X 270 (2970 Mhz). I'm using just a Zalman CNPS7700 Cu. I'll most likely get a better cooler later in an effort to get over 3 Ghz stable but for now I'm happy.

My old 3500+ New Castle would only do 11 X 238 (2618 Mhz) stable so I expected maybe 2750 Mhz at the most from this 3700+.

That's great, but this poll is for the newest s939 opterons.
Where are people buying these, are they readily available?

I voted for "Between 2700 Mhz & 2799 Mhz" and did so before realizing you wanted operons only....please delete my vote so I don't mess up you poll :bang head

Also these look very promising but do these only have up to the 10x multi?

invisible hand said:
Also these look very promising but do these only have up to the 10x multi?
There will be models with higher multis although the 144 & 146 are the only ones that will be interesting to overclockers due to a high bang for your buck with 1mb cache overclocking potential.

Ri0 said:
That's great, but this poll is for the newest s939 opterons.
Where are people buying these, are they readily available?

Sorry. I thought maybe he wrote opteron by mistake.
The 1XX dual core 939 opterons are code named 'Denmark', not San Diego.

Back