• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What does the Laptop of the future look like?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MÜSLI

Registered
I just wanted to know what you think is possible to make with the currently developed technologies in a laptop(dont even think about the price and if it´s necessary).
My thoughts are this:
HD:
500 up(several TB?) gig FlashDrive with 300mb/s(Sata2)(or Holographic?)
CPU:
dual-quad core 64bit 2-3ghz 4-8mb cache(intel)i dont know if its possible to get a cell together with windows or linux
RAM:
I have no idea what is going on in this section but i think better timings should be possible.
GPU:
7800go(with SLI?) I´m shure they are developing something better but I´ve no idea what
For the CAD people a qadro with the 7800go chip
EXTRAS:
Dual tv tuner
1gb/s network
7.1 Sound(X-fi)
Firewire800/400
USB
...(you name it)
DISPLAY`s:
A main display (OLED) from 12-17inch Hi Res
1-3 wheel-away display´s (e-ink display or something like it) for Outlook photoshop toolbars and so on.
KEYBOARD:
Somthing like the Optimus keyboard.
POWER:
Fuel cells

I know that one ist nice for all the people with no money but come on jou must have some ideas what else is possible to get in there.

I think the future of laptops is to get them more affordable for the average student. If prices would jsut drop down $200-400 for midrange laptops, I bet sale would go up alot.

MÜSLI said:
I know that one ist nice for all the people with no money but come on jou must have some ideas what else is possible to get in there.

Although they take alot of flak, Alienware still produces some of the fastest, highest capacity laptops available.

My earlier point, however, is that desktop replacements comprise a niche market at best. The overwhelming majority of laptop users are seeking small size, light weight and above all, low cost. Likewise, the overwhelming majority of "power users" prefer the adaptability and (significantly) higher performance of a desktop platform. Since the market drives technology (for the most part) we'll not likely see any dramatic development in the desktop replacement arena.

what i do not understand is why these poor individuals are getting all the neat gagets when they could do just as much good here
instead of giving a student 8-100 textbooks at 40-200$ a pop why not give them digital copies of the books and have the students submit projects directly into a teachers computure instantly eliminating the need for any type of book

If we didn't buy text books at $100+ a pop, how would our profs pay for their Beamers?
Anyway, I agree that portability and power consumption are major factors in buying a laptop. Hence, they are important to developers and manufacturers. I can encode and game on my desktop. My laptop is great for traveling and times like now for instance - on the pooper replying to a message board. I can relax and take a few extra minutes because I am not worried that my battery is going to die.

corpsejockey said:
If we didn't buy text books at $100+ a pop, how would our profs pay for their Beamers?
Anyway, I agree that portability and power consumption are major factors in buying a laptop. Hence, they are important to developers and manufacturers. I can encode and game on my desktop. My laptop is great for traveling and times like now for instance - on the pooper replying to a message board. I can relax and take a few extra minutes because I am not worried that my battery is going to die.

I hope your not in college cause thats sad.

My $120 math book cash goes to the Text book publisher. My dad's taxes (which im sure cost'd me a new car when I was 16) pay for my professor's Bimmer.

But many professors write textbooks. I know at least several textbooks I've had to buy were written by the professor that was teaching the course.

Too Smart said:
But many professors write textbooks. I know at least several textbooks I've had to buy were written by the professor that was teaching the course.

A lot of the time those books don't make the teachers any profit tho.. I have had several teachers who wrote their own books - but the cost was basically only the cost of printing / binding / licencing.

And, if books were to become digital, they would loose even MORE money. Then, there would be no more books. And we would be stuck without ANY good books. If it were just on a computer, NOBODY would pay for books anymore.. most students would just find somewhere to download them... and the reason books are so expensive is due to large stores like Barnes and Noble reselling used books.. Nowadays, a text book company will release a book. If it's a good book, they will sell a decent number of books in its first year or two of release.. then, the sales drop like a rock. Why? Because the used books are being resold. Barnes and Noble see's a huge profit, and the book sellers see very little. Thats ONE of the reasons they cost so much more than they should - and thats why we end up having new revisions and online components with limited use and etc. things that force you to either pay a special fee or buy a new book...

So, a book seller would be CRAZY for selling a digital version of their book.. I bet they would sell MAYBE 1/10 th of the amount of books the first year, and then barely ever again.

Man I hate buying books...
[/rant]

Back