• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC to build, advice appreciated

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

F@TMAN

Registered
After finding a seller of these quality CPU's here in oz (at a reasonable price), I've been pushed towards buying a 146 Opteron as opposed to a 3200+ Venice. So far these are specs/prices I've found

AMD Opteron™ (Socket 939) 146 1Mb cache, 2.0Ghz
Thermalright XP90C
Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 Rev.3
Panaflo/NMB 92mm FBA09A12H1BX
Xpertvision Nvidia Geforce 7800GT 256Mb PCI-E EV-7800GT
DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D
OCZ PowerStream 520w
OCZ Gold PC4000 2GB EL DC Kit

All advice/suggestions appreciated, I'm really excited 'bout this! I think I've got a good thing goin' here, cheers

Last edited:
What you mean 'Oz,' the prison?

Wow man, where can you get the 939 Opteron?

That setup will be great, except for maybe Enermax which can be overrated, what other options do you have?

Sorry, dude, I'm from Australia (hence Oz) :p

Opterons are offered by a reseller here gettin stock from AMD distributors, no1 is keeping stock of these, hence a 1-2 week minimum on your order to be fulfilled. PSU I got from this list at DFI-street forums, take your pic and recommend anything else within same price range!

All right mate, I didn't look at the details but the brands listed there included OCZ, Fortron and Sparkle all of which I would chose over Enermax.

I like Fortron/Sparkle especially, post in the PSU section for opnions about specific models.

Be careful, the waiting period may turn into weeks (& weeks) check out any reseller ratings available...

Updated specs, I've decided to go with the OCZ PowerStream 520w instead of the Enermax, how's it lookin'?
:)

Well, I guess you're not in Kansas anymore.:)
I would never void a warranty on a card as expensive as the 7800 to put an Arctic Silencer on it. (I did it with my 9800 and wish I hadn't) I really don't think the make much difference in the cooling department. If you need to improve the stock cooling I would use something else.
I would get a Delta 3 blade fan instead of the panaflo.
Aside from those pick points, which don't amount to much, it looks like a great rig.

I tend to agree with you, rseven, I might delay the purchase of the GPU cooler to see how the stock performs (and might be a bit over the top considering I doubt I'll o/c my GPU). And Molester, I'm aware there are better coolers than the XP90C (incl. the XP120 in some cases), but the margins are not as large as, say, when compared to stock cooling. Comes down to preference I s'pose, and the XP90C hasn't had any bad reviews, hence I decided to choose it. Appreciate both your feedback

Back