• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me choose an X800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GV2NIX

I'm thinking of getting an X800XL, but I'm not quite sure if this is best option or not. What do you guys think?

Is there something I should be looking for in particular (unadvertised specs like unlockable pipelines, cores or memory brands that have been known to overclock better, etc...)?

I remember with my 9800Pro I ended up getting a refurbished Sapphire because there was a greater chance they had the R360 core and Samsung RAM. I got lucky! I'm just wondering if there's something similar for the X800s. Thanks guys!

Edit: If you think I should get something other than an X800XL please speak up also!

GV2NIX said:
I meant, is will I be able to gain as much performance with the ATi X800 Pro as I will with the Sapphire X800GTO2.
probably not..... the X800GTO2 can be flashed to open up all 16 pipes..... has a r480 core..... if it has any decent overclock ability it will be the best card for the dollar hands down.

What's the word out among you guys? Do you think the X800GTO2 is a better investment? More cosistantly overclockable?

Edit: Btw, I'll be using a Maze4 block with OCZ ramsinks.

GV2NIX said:
What's the word out among you guys? Do you think the X800GTO2 is a better investment? More cosistantly overclockable?

Edit: Btw, I'll be using a Maze4 block with OCZ ramsinks.

Either of the cards are gonna be good. The Sapphire GTO2 will give you the chance to unlock it for 16 pipes and it is based on the 850 core.

I believe we are talking about pci-e so the Sapphire takes the edge. The X800 Pro if a vivo model in agp form can be flashed to unlock the 4 extra pipes and card can become a 16 piped pro/XT or even XT PE card. Even on a Pro bios with the extra 4 pipes the card is good value.

I was under the impression that pci-e cards can not be unlocked but was informed that some of the X800 Pro pci-e cards can unlock to 16 pipes but I have not confirmed it. Since I am using agp I have not looked into it.

Of the 2 cards if cost is the same why not go for the Sapphire since it is based on R480 core and gives you a good chance of flashing to an X850XT

Please refresh my memory, is the R480 core the X800 XT core? Maybe I'm getting confused with the 9800 series... (It's been a while).

Yes, I'm going to be using PCIe, so I guess it seems clear that I should go with the Sapphire huh? Although the prices might be similar, I'm more concerned with getting the better card.

Got my Sapphire X800-GTO2 today! I got the R480 core and Samsung RAM, so I'm assuming I got what I'm supposed to have gotten? Wish I could test this, but my rig is down awaiting parts... :(

X800GTO2 - Chip.jpg

Last edited:
the PCB is the X850 pcb...... you got the right card and yes, the R480 is the X850XT core. Once you get that baby going please post your results in my thread.

If you notice in the chip pic, there's a small dot on the lower left hand corner of the core... I couldn't get it off, is that just part of the manufacturer's stamp?

GV2NIX said:
If you notice in the chip pic, there's a small dot on the lower left hand corner of the core... I couldn't get it off, is that just part of the manufacturer's stamp?
I believe so as the same thing appears on mine.

Back