• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First ATI 1x00 numbers in: x1800 looks like a doozy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have trouble believeing that this card has double the performane of a 7800GTX at 1600x1200 4xAA in BF2 unless the 7800GTX was doing that on an intel 505 CPU with 512mb of ram and the x1800 on a FX-57 overclocked to 3.4ghz with 2gigs of ram.

speed bump said:
I have trouble believeing that this card has double the performane of a 7800GTX at 1600x1200 4xAA in BF2 unless the 7800GTX was doing that on an intel 505 CPU with 512mb of ram and the x1800 on a FX-57 overclocked to 3.4ghz with 2gigs of ram.

True, I'd like to think they would have made all other hardware equal when doing testing. We'll know for sure shortly.

If you look at the graph you will see its not double the performance. Its a trick that everybody pulls to make their stuff look better. The graph starts at 70% instead of 0%. You notice the FEAR demo it looks like ATI is 400% better, but if you look at the numbers it is only 80%. ALWAYS CHECK THE NUMBERS

Dermen, we are checking the numbers............and how you could possibly put the word "only" in front of 80% is beyond me.

I'm ATM starting to dislike ATI, because:

Crossfire reportedly only supports 60 hz!!

ATI has had a history for "clock-locking", trying to prevent overclocking. Nvidia isn't known to pull this.

The latest cards reportedly are costing more for the same or even less performance!!

Hold your horses before you bash them about performance before seeing actual releases of the video cards. They are all Assumption as of now, no proof until they are physically released. I don't have a preference either, just trying to get the best bang for my buck. I got a X800 XT PE for $250 so I got a heck of a deal, that is why I went with ATI.

"

Crossfire reportedly only supports 60 hz!!"

let me clear this up for you. first of all that is onyl at resolutions at 1600x1200 or above. below 1600x1200 it can go higher. and second of all the reason for that is not crossfire it's because the cards have limitations, on later generations of card crossfire will beable to go past 1600x1200 60hz!...

and guess what nvidia is also none for cheating on thier numbers. so the numbers that you see on the screen arent always the truth

This is probably the thousandth or so time ive posted this. Wait till the actaul cards are released, why spread more confusion and end up looking like an *** if the side you so strongly threw forward as fact comes up very short of what actually occurs. They dont show any system specs excluding the video cards, I wont believe it for a second at this point.

I do beleive it will outperform the GTX, but im skeptical at what ATI is saying about it. They did the same thing with the 6800 ultra and the x800, claiming that the x800 was 40% faster in the majority of games tested, this obviosly came to be false, the only card even come close to that margin was the x850xt, which was released some 4 or 5 months after the said statement, and it was still nowhere near 40% gain.

If the x1800xt lives up to these paper releases, as a lot of you seam to be so in love with, then you will see a 7800GTX in the classifieds shortly.

ShadowClock

I don't buy any of that crap.

They don't list the fps that the cards got, just how much better by percent or times the ati card is. Probably because anybody who has a 7800GTX would notice that the scores seem unusually low.

Also, why would they post anything saying that any of their products don't do as well? It is just a marketing sheet straight from the manufacturer.

THEY HAVE NOT POSTED ANYTHING, that is a 3rd party site. I am tired or trying to talk reason, everybody just needs to accept that they are not released yet.

Quailane said:
I don't buy any of that crap.

They don't list the fps that the cards got, just how much better by percent or times the ati card is. Probably because anybody who has a 7800GTX would notice that the scores seem unusually low.

Also, why would they post anything saying that any of their products don't do as well? It is just a marketing sheet straight from the manufacturer.

exactly.

Im not saying that the x1800 is not good, im sure its gonna be incredible, I just dont think that its a valid review.

RJARRRPCGP said:

Crossfire reportedly only supports 60 hz!!

/QUOTE]

That limitation is currently only present in the X850XT versions of Crossfire. The X800-X850 series were engineered to work efficiently up to 1600x1200 and not beyond. I highly doubt the new R520 series will have this refresh limitation. Also if you read and believe these sell sheets, they talk about the crossfire interface happening between cards via the PCIe card slot, not that nasty dongle that the X850 cards have to use.

Bar81 said:
In 3 days we'll know but considering all the guys with cards in their hands are also getting these sheets I don't see how ATI can claim an 80% gain in FEAR if it's not actually an 80% gain. Then again, the real question is what are the in game settings, is this 640x480 with no eye candy or is it 1600x1200 with 6xAdapive AA and full eye candy. The former would matter not at all while the latter would be quite the achievement.

Either way, these leaks are making things *very* interesting.

Gees it gave the game setting right at the top of the sheet...1600x1200 w/ 4x AA and 8x AF.

Viper

ViperJohn said:
Gees it gave the game setting right at the top of the sheet...1600x1200 w/ 4x AA and 8x AF.

Viper

Nonetheless, it tells you absolutely nothing about the drivers, test setups, or gaming conditions specifically.

Besides, the entire sell sheets are full of enough grammatical errors that make you question whether or not the is actually real. It is true that PR people don't necessarily major in English, but it is expected that professionals at least produce something that is grammatically correct.

Spellcheck, anyone?

deception``

Last edited:
In my previous post I may have sounded very anti-ati. Truth is I am pretty impartial, even though my X800pro whoops the *** outa my 6800U in anything I throw at either of them.

this is coming from an nvidia fanboy, and im still going to admit im impressed with these, be they right or wrong, we should wait until the cards are out.. remember, this creates competition, and competition is good for us.. cheaper prices, better cards..imo

Careface*

Back