• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First ATI 1x00 numbers in: x1800 looks like a doozy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks good, On the X1800 Sell sheet, first graph shows the X1800XL twice. I'm guessing the top one should be the XT and not the XL?

Interesting.....I'll wait for real reviews to come out before making any final judgement. However, the X1600 Pro looks to be quite a nice mid-level card, provided it can be boosted up to XT levels.

Misleading to say the least.

Also, as Nexus mentioned, they show scores for the x1800XL twice. Things like that are serious issues, but they lead some to question the credibility.

The fact of the matter is that these "benchmarks" (which are from ATI themselves) tell absolutely nothing about the "test" systems, amongst a number of other unclear things.

I'd say this is nothing but last-minute marketing at best. Let's wait for the reviewers before we draw a conclusion.

deception``

we should have something concrete in about a week...... I'll wait but this does look somewhat promising.

In 3 days we'll know but considering all the guys with cards in their hands are also getting these sheets I don't see how ATI can claim an 80% gain in FEAR if it's not actually an 80% gain. Then again, the real question is what are the in game settings, is this 640x480 with no eye candy or is it 1600x1200 with 6xAdapive AA and full eye candy. The former would matter not at all while the latter would be quite the achievement.

Either way, these leaks are making things *very* interesting.

deception`` said:
Misleading to say the least.

Also, as Nexus mentioned, they show scores for the x1800XL twice. Things like that are serious issues, but they lead some to question the credibility.

The fact of the matter is that these "benchmarks" (which are from ATI themselves) tell absolutely nothing about the "test" systems, amongst a number of other unclear things.

I'd say this is nothing but last-minute marketing at best. Let's wait for the reviewers before we draw a conclusion.

deception``
I think you're both right and wrong at the same time.
Yes these benchmarks are not really reliable, and are most likely not the same reviewers are going to get... BUT, they do give at least some general idea of what this new architecture is capable of, and so far its pretty impressive, for a 16pipe GPU.

The Coolest said:
I think you're both right and wrong at the same time.
Yes these benchmarks are not really reliable, and are most likely not the same reviewers are going to get... BUT, they do give at least some general idea of what this new architecture is capable of, and so far its pretty impressive, for a 16pipe GPU.

On the contrary, I think these sheets mean absolutely nothing. It doesn't matter whether it be NVIDIA or ATI - the fact of the matter is that information such as this from either company concerning their product is going to be semi-misleading to say the least. For example - NVIDIA recently launched its "Power of 3 Campaign," touting it's 'advantages over ATI' which include SLI, SM 3.0 and HDR. If you were to compare the 6800 Ultra to the x850XT, then yes the NVIDIA card would have an advantage in the SM department. However, up to this point only a handful of titles truly benefit from SM 3.0, so this 'advantage' is not as clear as NVIDIA would like us to believe.

As I have said time and time again, we only have but a few days left. I will reserve judgement on ATI's products until then - so should everyone else.

deception``

Last edited:
So the X1600 does 5100 ok 35Mark05. Isn't that around what a x800 does?

Those numbers are impressive nonetheless.

Gabkicks said:
do those cards suppord Direct X 10? or is dx10 not coming out for a long time?

DirectX 10/Next/WGF/whatever isn't supposed to hit until Vista so we're talking 2H of 06 so I would presume that whatever they support will be limited and extremely hurtful on performance; akin to the situation with the 6800 and SM 3.0 - they could run it but it usually killed performance. It wasn't until the 7800 that it made sense as an option.

Bottom line, yes they will support DirectX 10 but how well and with all the features is doubtful especially considering SM 4.0 is already being talked about.

JDizzle said:
So the X1600 does 5100 ok 35Mark05. Isn't that around what a x800 does?

Those numbers are impressive nonetheless.

a 256mb x800pro costs $180 and performs like a 256mb x1600xt costing $250. They do have the 128mb x1600pro but it looks to be about on par to a 6600gt costing $30 less. Their x1800xl costs about as much as a 7800gtx but its slower. Only the x1800xt is as fast but costs more. ATI should have released their cards months ago now they missed the boat and must cut their prices down!

TRF-Inferno said:
Looks about the same as the 7800GTX. Those are MSRP prices anyways, so I think the 'Street price' should be a bit cheaper.

was talking about the x1300 forgot to mention

Back