• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is A Opteron Worth Buying? If so where?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hitting 3GHz on air sounds real nice. I think I'll probably let everyone guinea pig and see which is best before jumping into one, though it is tempting. :)

HousERaT said:
I've seen it done with mostly 146 chips......
The 144 should OC comparably to the 146, since we can use our experience with Venice. We all know how much better 3200+ OCed than the 3000+ (Not at all).

These chips have seen almost as much interest as the X2's when they came out!

I think 50-60% of our traffic right now is checking out these new opterons. It's nuts.

Anyway, just an FYI to everyone: In stock dates will vary from place to place, but here is a snapshot of "Estimated" in stock dates for one of our distributors:

Opteron 148 OSA148BNBOX
0 Listed on order, Thus NO ETA

Opteron 146 OSA146BNBOX
4 On order, ETA of the 23rd. 3 of these are going to a different retailer, I have 1 allotted to us, but it's already spoken for.

Opteron 144 OSA144BNBOX
50 on order, ETA of today :rolleyes: They should be in pretty quick though. I've got a couple of these on order, but all are spoken for at the moment. If anyone else is interested though, I can order a few more, there are still some available I think.

Opteron 165 OSA165CDBOX
0 listed on order, no ETA

There are a few others (the 150 and the 152) but they are rather expensive and haven't seen much interest. If you guys want info on them though, I can try to dig it up.

Nexus Realized said:
Wow, even more tempting...I think I'll still wait.

By the way, on this Tri-Tech site:

The availability they are showing is the non-real time availability at the TechData distribution centers. For example, they list 4 of the 146's... the problem is, 3 of those were already sold today (by them maybe?) and one of those is mine ;)

So don't take those stock indicators as gospel. Ours aren't completely real time either so I'm not trying to bash them, I'm just letting you guy sknow so you don't get excited then let down!

TankGuys said:
By the way, on this Tri-Tech site:

The availability they are showing is the non-real time availability at the TechData distribution centers. For example, they list 4 of the 146's... the problem is, 3 of those were already sold today (by them maybe?) and one of those is mine ;)

So don't take those stock indicators as gospel. Ours aren't completely real time either so I'm not trying to bash them, I'm just letting you guy sknow so you don't get excited then let down!

DOH!!! >.<!! Maybe some drifted in and I'll get lucky...? Awww man!

GV2NIX said:
Yeah, I placed an order, but according to TankGuys, their real-time inventory isn't so real-time, and I think they might be out.

Yep. I'm not trying to "bash" a fellow retailer or anything, but I would be shocked if they actually had any in stock. I've seen thier site before; and honestly, thier inventory info there is a verbatim copy of the TechData inventory listing. Of course, some of our product descriptions are copies of the TD descriptions with some color changes, so we're not perfect either... ;)

this is one of the reasons i wait for newegg/monarch/zzf, resellers of the sort, always worth the wait, especially when thinking about price

plus, i'm hoping they'll offer a tray version, don't need the heatsink/fan, nor the 3 yr warranty, i'm an overclocker

Molester said:
this is one of the reasons i wait for newegg/monarch/zzf, resellers of the sort, always worth the wait, especially when thinking about price

plus, i'm hoping they'll offer a tray version, don't need the heatsink/fan, nor the 3 yr warranty, i'm an overclocker

Already called monarch, they are not an big player... AMD didn't even give them an ETA date, i was disappointed. It is better to get information from an distributer, as distributers buys about 1000% more from amd then individual stores. Like Ingram Micro.. Amax or Sparco.

Back