• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is A Opteron Worth Buying? If so where?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well, while i know you called them, and got quite dissapointing news, I got an email from them, saying they'd get them sometime this week, so ima have to go with my news, since it makes me feel happier :p

Hc000 said:
Already called monarch, they are not an big player... AMD didn't even give them an ETA date, i was disappointed. It is better to get information from an distributer, as distributers buys about 1000% more from amd then individual stores. Like Ingram Micro.. Amax or Sparco.

Sparco isn't a distributor though ;)

All of this time waiting for the CPU to be released means more time for me to sell my CPU and prepare for its forth coming :D

I think I'm going to wait for my TriTech callback. If that doesn't bear fruit, I'm just going to cancel everything and wait for NewEgg... I was hoping I could jump on some leftover Opterons to ensure that I get E6 stepping, but doesn't look like that's going to happen... :(

TankGuys, you're from Clinton? I'm from MI too, I was born in Mt. Clemens, haha!

TankGuys said:
Sparco isn't a distributor though ;)

Sparco is a distributer for Staples... well.. I guess they can be called an independent retailer but staples buys from them and I think they get most of the stuff straight thru the manufactuer some stuff thru ingram micro.

Good luck to all you guys waiting on them to come out.. I've been waiting for the e4 stepping 2xx to become availiable.. I want a high clocking dually.. if it kills me..

I have the Lv Xeon / PC-DL dissassembled and ready for sale / parting out, and I have almost all of the components I need for the Opty system...

Except I've been waiting since July. Every month they push it back another month.. and I hear this has been happening since Spring... I dunno if its gonna be the same situation with the 1xx's, but I hope all of us get our chips soon :- /

they are out in the U.S., it's finding them that's a pain, especially since their release in the U.S. is very recent, and demand has just hit for them

u can always order abroad, from the czech or japan, u.k., denmark, etc....

Molester said:
they are out in the U.S., it's finding them that's a pain, especially since their release in the U.S. is very recent, and demand has just hit for them

u can always order abroad, from the czech or japan, u.k., denmark, etc....

I thought ppl in those countries that doo have the 144s would be smart enough to sell it on ebay .. but they arent .. :shrug:

You say only if you have killer ram, what about Ram Dividers?

I plan on getting one and cooling it with a whitewater waterblock and BIX3 rad with it being the only thing in the system I hope it should crank. The money for the PC doesnt come through for about another 2 weeks so i should be right on time for ordering one

GV2NIX said:
I checked a few foreign sites, they were out of stock too. Maybe AMD only shipped enough to satisfy demand so no one had any extras.

Japan has a few in stock... but the opteron 144 boxed cost $188 and then to ship here is even more...

TheGreySpectre said:
You say only if you have killer ram, what about Ram Dividers?
^^
I'd also like to know what's so bad about dividers? with a 144 what kind of dividers would it take to get(example) 3ghz? 2.8? compared to what the fsb would really be at? I saw a chart but didn't understand it.. sorry to be a noob.

Compumusic.com apparently has 148's and 152's in stock. Ordered a 148 yesterday night, and it looked like everything went through. I received notice that it would ship today and that I would receive final confirmation today. Can't be positive til I get a tracking number, but I think it's worth a shot! Good luck.

ixtapalapaquetl said:
Compumusic.com apparently has 148's and 152's in stock. Ordered a 148 yesterday night, and it looked like everything went through. I received notice that it would ship today and that I would receive final confirmation today. Can't be positive til I get a tracking number, but I think it's worth a shot! Good luck.

I had looked at that site. Are you sure you didn't order a socket 940 ???

*edit* Holy crap! I see they show the 148 in stock, but for $319.56????? dayummm. I could just get an X2 for that....

This is what i recieved from newegg in response to an email I sent requesting dates for arrival of this proc...

Dear Jason,

Thank you for contacting Newegg.com.

Unfortunately we do not have ETAs for new items until after we receive the first shipment. Once we receive the initial order, we can more accurately estimate future deliveries. Generally it takes us about 6-8 weeks to receive new merchandise once it has been released to the public, due to the nature of supply and demand. Please continue to check all prices and availability at www.newegg.com <http://www.newegg.com/> for our most up-to-date status.

Sincerely,

Aj Bolire
Customer Service

Doesn't look to promising for those of us waiting on newegg....

Jason.

Ogerx said:
^^
I'd also like to know what's so bad about dividers? with a 144 what kind of dividers would it take to get(example) 3ghz? 2.8? compared to what the fsb would really be at? I saw a chart but didn't understand it.. sorry to be a noob.
A stock 144 runs at 1.8GHz, that's 200*9. If you overclock it to 3GHz, you'll be running around 9*333 or wahtever's closest to that. Since the memory speed is determined from dividing the CPU clock by the memory multiplier, you'll need to use a multiplier that brings the mem speed to whatever your RAM can handle.

If you're overclocking your 144 to 3GHz, and if you have insane RAM that can handle DDR666 (333MHz), then you don't need to change the memory multiplier. But, if you only have PC3200, which is DDR400 (200MHz) and can only overclock it to DDR440 (220MHz), then you're going to have to use a memory multiplier of 14 (or whatever the closest available is) to get the RAM speed in spec. Does that help? I'm not sure if I'm explaining it the best way. :p

close, but use the term 'memory divider', instead of 'memory multiplier'

unfortunately, being the 144 stock multiplier is 9, and that being the highest you can use, it limits the dividers you have access to...

Oh woops, memory divider, right...

Really? The dividers are limited? I figured it was completely independent from the CPU multiplier. Is there a chart where I can see what memory dividers are available for what cpu multipliers?

i do know there are charts out there, just don't know where

most important is wether or not your board can handle htt of 333+

Yes, another good point! I'm hoping the 146 is going to be a good balance between headroom and a high multiplier to get high clocks without having to run an insanely high htt.

Back