• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is A Opteron Worth Buying? If so where?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
TankGuys said:
Opteron 144 OSA144BNBOX
50 on order, ETA of today :rolleyes: They should be in pretty quick though. I've got a couple of these on order, but all are spoken for at the moment. If anyone else is interested though, I can order a few more, there are still some available I think.

PMed ya...

It's nice to have a reseller on these forums who communicates with the members. I think I'll most likely purchase from you guys when they arrive.

SuperCoolDude said:
PMed ya...

It's nice to have a reseller on these forums who communicates with the members. I think I'll most likely purchase from you guys when they arrive.

PM responded to :)

I tell you what; these things are insanely popular. At the rate we are taking orders, we're going to sell out of our order very fast. I was just able to sneak in another order for 8 more, so including those, I have 12 (I think...) still available, all the rest are spoken for already. I'm sure some of those orders will get cancelled in the interim, but if you're interested, ordering now is definitely a wise plan.

Molester said:
well, while i know you called them, and got quite dissapointing news, I got an email from them, saying they'd get them sometime this week, so ima have to go with my news, since it makes me feel happier :p

Just got an email from monarch, I also called earlier this week. This is for the opteron 144 939.

Thank you for your request. We will add this product to our site. It
should be available within the next 1 to 2 weeks. Please let me know
if you have further questions. Thank you for your time and patience.
We
appreciate your business.

Dabney

Purchasing Department
Monarch Computer

Hc000 said:
Just got an email from monarch, I also called earlier this week. This is for the opteron 144 939.

Thank you for your request. We will add this product to our site. It
should be available within the next 1 to 2 weeks. Please let me know
if you have further questions. Thank you for your time and patience.
We
appreciate your business.

Dabney

Purchasing Department
Monarch Computer
Lol my response from Monarch was quite different.

I asked:
I am looking for a S939 Opteron CPU, model OSA148BNBOX. Will you carry those soon?

Reply:
Not in the near future.

Rattle said:
monarch is pretty shady... IMHO

I think it's more an issue of them growing a lot lately. Once your organization hits a certain critical size, it becomes a lot harder to manage it well. It's a case of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing; and unfortunately, it's an inherent problem with large companies.

still want to know where monarch dropped the ball, they call themself an "Official Launch Partner" of amd, or has that changed?

Molester said:
still want to know where monarch dropped the ball, they call themself an "Official Launch Partner" of amd, or has that changed?

They ARE official launch partner of AMD, BUT just because they are one does not mean they will ahve every product in stock. Most of amd's cpu goes to distributers first before they even go to retail stores like monarch.

I went down to monarch to buy stuff from them and they don't seem like they have a clue in what they are doing. I do believe monarch is shady as well... Monarch had an giveaway contest back in july and they still won't post the winner's name. Something about against their privacy policy. But they can just let the employees win the prizes if no information is made public...

TankGuys said:
I think it's more an issue of them growing a lot lately. Once your organization hits a certain critical size, it becomes a lot harder to manage it well. It's a case of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing; and unfortunately, it's an inherent problem with large companies.
Reminds me of my undergrad years when I was studying logistical models, production and operation hueristics, and that kanban krap, haha! I didn't realize that they were transitisioning into a large company. I ordered from them once about a year ago, and things went smoothly. I guess since most of the time they offer the most competitive prices their customer base blew up. I wonder if Newegg went through this also.

GV2NIX said:
Reminds me of my undergrad years when I was studying logistical models, production and operation hueristics, and that kanban krap, haha! I didn't realize that they were transitisioning into a large company. I ordered from them once about a year ago, and things went smoothly. I guess since most of the time they offer the most competitive prices their customer base blew up. I wonder if Newegg went through this also.

Yea, they are definitely growing. They aren't a huge company or anything, but certainly on thier way up.

You know, it's like they say, "Amateurs talk tactics, professionals talk logistics". Not every company has to go through the growing pains if the adequately prepare, but it's easier said than done, which I'm sure you know from your studies :)

TankGuys said:
Yea, they are definitely growing. They aren't a huge company or anything, but certainly on thier way up.

You know, it's like they say, "Amateurs talk tactics, professionals talk logistics". Not every company has to go through the growing pains if the adequately prepare, but it's easier said than done, which I'm sure you know from your studies :)
Definitely! You could have the coolest operational model ever, but if you don't have the know-how to implement it effectively, well, you'll end up like the now-dead Kosmo (for those of you who don't know, Kosmo was a cool delivery service in NYC that brought to your door, among other things, food, movie rentals, and even housewares within 30 min).

Ok, back to business (no pun intended). I called Monarch, and when I asked about the 146, I got the "Huh?" response. I called back again and pointed out that I was getting mixed responses, and he said that this is a brand spankin' new product and there's some confusion about the purchasing details, so officially, he can't give me an ETA. Sounds to me like they're scrambling around figuring out what to do about having tons of orders for Opterons and not having an ETA from AMD.

Question: There shouldn't be any difference in the gaming department with these Opterons compared to the Athlon's? (outside of the oc'ng of course)

OMi7000 said:
Question: There shouldn't be any difference in the gaming department with these Opterons compared to the Athlon's? (outside of the oc'ng of course)

There SHOULD be a difference, @ the same clock speeds you should get 5-7% better performance... (with same setting same setup)

opti146.jpg

Who needs ETAs?

Penny pic for the win! :)

CABNE 0530APMW

Stepping.

Hc000 said:
There SHOULD be a difference, @ the same clock speeds you should get 5-7% better performance... (with same setting same setup)
Maybe compared to a venice but not a diego. It is basically a SD with a little bit better silicon, which is why it should OC better.

Back