• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is A Opteron Worth Buying? If so where?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziggo0

Seeing how the Athlon XP Mobile came into the scene as a huge hit for overclockers...it seems the Opteron 144/146 are going along the same lines as huge overclockers. I know I already have a 3700+ San Deigo but this would be a nice upgrade...especially with the results these are getting. Close to 3g's with low volts...If i could even do 300x9 I'd be happy. Also, Where can you get them? NewEgg doesn't carry them...and I don't know if Monarch carries the Socket 939 version. Thanks for your insights

pretty much everyone that sells these in the US are out of stock or preorder only...... Last I checked Monarch still didn't have them in yet. Is it worth buying? I have a San Diego and I'm gonna get one....... :D

Not available yet. I would think we need to see some more peoples results before deciding if it's "worth it". However, initial results from the few people who have gotten them are just astonishing. 3+ ghz on air. very nice. I'll be getting one if they show up for sale before I break down and buy a venice. I'm building my first A64 and all I lack is a processor. The wait is killing me.

Patience young grasshoppa....

J.

I was over at XtremeSystem's forums reading up about these Opterons...and they are simply ammazing. I'd have to sell my CPU first...id probaly get a good 250$ for it. The Opterons are like...150 ~ 175$? I believe...if they are then that is great. I also read there is someone you can PM over there about a 'special order' or something...I'm going to message him once I get home :D

I called Monarch Computers today around 12:30 PM. I spoke to the guy and he said he will not be taking any preorders until AMD has told them the ETA of the chips. At this point he said about 20 people have called him and he won't know anything until AMD notifys him.

Hc000 said:
I called Monarch Computers today around 12:30 PM. I spoke to the guy and he said he will not be taking any preorders until AMD has told them the ETA of the chips. At this point he said about 20 people have called him and he won't know anything until AMD notifys him.

Oh darn...scratch Monarch out of this. I know people are getting these from somewhere...its gotta be a private source I know that much

ziggo0 said:
Oh darn...scratch Monarch out of this. I know people are getting these from somewhere...its gotta be a private source I know that much

I just called AMD's georgia representative and he did not pick up, I also called their ohio office (only office that listed processors, others listed memory only) and no one picked up. I'm surprised that they get off this early.. its only 3:23PM.

I did however talk to this lady @ their other division (embedded processors) saying that in order to buy directly from AMD we would need to be a company and have large purchasing power, there is a certain quota we must meet a month... So... Who wants to buy straight from AMD ? I think we need like 1000 CPU minimum...

Hc000 said:
...So... Who wants to buy straight from AMD ? I think we need like 1000 CPU minimum...

Count me in for one! :D - thats 999 more, who's got a big company?

This wait is killing me. Gets worse every hour!! I think i'm going to have to buy a venice and use that for a while. Perhaps pick up one of these opterons at a later date. I have all the parts for my new rig except for the processor. Can't afford an X2 right now, so it's venice or 939 opteron. I can't take it!! If AMD hasn't even notified it's resellers of an ETA, i doubt we'll be seeing these in stores this month.

J.

I just called Sparco (www.sparco.com) and they will have the product on the 18th of october. 14 days from now.

So... Get ready to pre order it ;)

The guy I talked to say they will ship it straight to us (normally there is a 2 day lead time to get to them before getting it to us) but it will go straight from warehouse to us if we pre order :)

Hey that's great! I thought I saw some vendor with an ETA of Oct 8th. I'll see if I can find them again...

J.

ergh .... soo annoying the wait is killing me .. even if a 144 can oc say 200mhz its still a better buy than a 3000venice

koss20100 said:
ergh .... soo annoying the wait is killing me .. even if a 144 can oc say 200mhz its still a better buy than a 3000venice

3000+ venice OC to 2.7-2.8...

I placed an order with Sparco a few days ago too. They're not being very good at communicating with me though. I hope they're keeping a chronological wait list, and I hope we're all going to get first steppings. Sparco is supposed to tell me as soon as they get an ETA, so I'll be sure and post back when I hear from them.

ive put my email down on 5 sites for the "notify me when available" option for the 146.
i want one of these little beasts bad.

juliendogg said:
I have a small company. Wikkedpc Inc. We could definately use my company name on the order :thup:

J.

I as well have a small company, lol might need to look into this, Hookah Cartel INC. Hopefully we will be big soon.

Back