• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this pump any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ocZer

Norway - subzero watercooling in winter :D
I was wondering if anyone ever tried this pump (AlphaCool AP1500) . I'm going to build a new water setup for my newest rig. I think I'm going to use a Storm g4 and a Danger den maze 4 in series, and I need a high performance pump. For the moment the choice stand between an Eheim 1250 and an AlphaCool AP1500. It's very important to me that it runs silently. I'm currently using a 1048 on my older rig and I am very pleased with it.

Last edited:
That Alphacool pump only has 1/4" connections. You don't want to go that route. The Eheim 1250 if placed on foam is almost inaudible. My Aquaextreme 50z is very quiet, and from what other here on the forums say, the D5/MCP655 is very quiet also. All of these three pumps provide good performance, but the 50Z and MCP655 are at the top of the crop.

I can't say enought good things about the MCP655. Quiet and powerful enough for any restrictive, impingement block, not to mention GPU and MCP/NB bridges downstream and it runs off of 12V. I used to use the 1250. Now it is my backup pump.

Hoot

That Alphacool pump only has 1/4" connections. You don't want to go that route.

Look again, those are 1/4 threaded female mounts - you specify hose attachements seperately. And as far as performance capabilities that pump looks quite interesting. While I imagine noise is probably going to become an issue at the higher voltages, 6m head is impressive nonetheless. Probably placing it not too far adrift 3m head at 12v, so a very capable pump.

The quick slam doesnt appear to be deserved in this instance :shrug:

have heard stories of those pumps not being the quietest things in the world

perhaps a search at watercooling.de with a translator might help a bit... not easy searching interlanguage though.

Look again, those are 1/4 threaded female mounts

You are right. However, upon looking at the site, I don't see anything larger than a 10mm fitting for it listed there. I'm not sure what you would have to do to find 1/2" fittings if there is such a thing with 1/4" threads.

Apart from this, the price alone is enough to keep me away. Just over $100 plus shipping.

voigts said:
Apart from this, the price alone is enough to keep me away. Just over $100 plus shipping.
Actually here in Norway it does not cost much more than the eheim, so price is not my primary issiue. What does concern me is reliability and noise.

As for the D5 or MCP655, they are not available here, at least to my knowledge. I have only found the hydor L20 / 30 II, MCP350 / 650 and Danger den D4. Also there are various models from alphacool and eheim.

Back