• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X-Flow Single pass in Series or Parallel....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bugsmasher

Just wondering about the new X-flow single pass radiators from HW Labs in their Black Ice series...

I am wondering if for ease of installation if there is any reason a person shouldnt either use two of their single 120mm rads in series or parallel instead of using a standard dual 120mm radiator for ease of placement within a case?

Since they are single pass they add little restriction by comparision to the older dual pass lines. With many cases out there placing a dual 120mm radiator internally can be a challenge without (sometimes large) modification to the case.

Solution- layouts could vary but the ability to place a single 120mm X-flow in the front of the case and a single one in the back of the case in order to utilize the available 120mm fan ports would remove the need to mod the case or place a dual 120mm radiator externally.

Thoughts on series vs parallel in this instance?

Reasons as to why this wouldnt be a decent solution instead of a single dual radiator beyond the cost?

***EDIT***
The other reason I like this possible solution is the ability to expand the loop. I currrently only cool my cpu so a single 120mm radiator is more than enough. If I however decide to cool my gpu or other components it would be pushing the ability of a single rad so the ability to simply put another single 120 Xflow in the loop to handle the extra load instead of having to 'toss' the old single rad and purchase a double (which brings us back to the difficulties of placement).

Last edited:
Id run them in series... the more flow through them is likely better than halving it with parallel.

nik-

I know its purely a 'guestimate' but how negatively would running 2x(120mm single pass rad)s be vs a 1x(120mmX2 dual pass radiator) effect overall flow do you think?

compare surface area and 90degree bends to get a better idea.

i have seen a couple systems that run rads in parrallel and pumps in series that just kick *** 2x(Fedco 2-342)

in fact that is how i would go if the rads are single pass as you want to keep tht DT wide and the pumps ( im assuming of coarse here you are either using a very strong pump or 2 pumps in series) wont stress and youll not loose much flow . now if your pumps where in parrallel i would not bother doing that

Running one rad is a lot easier when it comes to tubing, and most cases can take a 2-120mm rad without much trouble. Trying to plumb two rads can become a mess and of course you lose some performance just by having the extra plumbing for the pump to deal with. And for minor price difference, why not go with a 2-120mm instead of a single 120mm? We are only talking about a $10 difference or so, vs having to go back later and pay $30 + shipping later to add another rad.

well i woulda thought there would be less flow restriction with 1 bigger rad then 2 single

And theres less chance of a leak

Its up to you, find a place for a 240mm rad may be tough

Also 2x 120 is gonna be a bit bigger then 1x 240 cos u get the bits on the end where they join up

his first post states why as to his case restrictions
and not modding the case

I know, but he also is asking for reasons as to why using two single rads is a decent solution, and I was just trying to say that having to make minor case mods is worth it both in cost and in performance and ease of plumbing. Two rads will serve the purpose, but it is just easier to route tubing for one double than two singles and be done with it.

Thats what I was trying to figure out...

The X-flows being single pass *should* be quite a bit less restrictive than most current dual pass (BIX2, BIP2, '77 Bonne Core, etc) radiators. Now understanding with the added inlet/outlet there is added restriction but that should be somewhat balanced by the lower restriction of the single pass. In other words we are removing one restriction point (the 'turn' in a dual pass radiator) and adding two in the inlet and outlet of the additional radiator. It really boils down to a single additional restriction point.

I also wouldnt place them next to each other in the loop. It would be more like

Pump>>>CPU block>>>Rad1>>>GPU block>>>Rad2>>>....

The idea being putting one rad in the front of the case and another in the back (either rear or top rear mounted depending on available 120mm preset fan positions according to the case). The rear fan would indeed be using the warmer air from inside the case which may have a negative impact but routing is actually fairly easy.

Proposed WCing Layout
*in the picture by 'Reverse' I mean the Masstige has an inverted or BTX type motherboard mount

Note that the longest needed single tubing run is around 14" give or take a little bit and the whole setup would keep the total tubing under 4'

***EDIT***
Just to be clear the above post is what I *think*, not what I know. I am asking for some input as to how or why my reasoning would be incorrect. In short I am trying to find a way to simplify or remove modifications needed for using WCing without resorting to one of the infamous 'kits' (not including the Apex of course) without having any real effect on performance. If I am wrong please feel free to tell me so before I oops ;)

Thorilan- I was going to use a single MCP600 overvolted to 13.8 volts. This ramps the head up to 4.3m give or take a lil bit according to Cathars charts. If the added radiator doesnt add that much restriction to the overall loop I was thinking that the MCP600 at 13.8v would be more than enough to push such a loop.

Last edited:
Any particular reason why you don't just fit a dual 120mm rad at the front of that case instead? Unless you're using a ton of drives, I should think you'd have plenty of room.

Or is it impossible to do it without modding? I was looking at the masstige as a possible water-cooling solution that wouldn't require cutting and allow a 2x120mm rad at the front.. or perhaps ever a 3x120mm rad. I only need to put one dvd drive in the case and one hard drive, so taking up all but one of the front drive ports is fine by me.. just an issue of whether it can actually be fitted.

Do you think a triple rad in the front would work? Or would I have better luck with a cm stacker/tt armor case?

There is always the external mounting. That's what I did and I'm very happy with the results. Personally I like the looks plus it takes the heat outside the case where it belongs.

Back