• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just bought Black and White 2... and a G5 laser mouse

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prodigious

ok Im installing BW2 now. hopefully its as good as I hope. :D

btw, this new mouse is AMAMAZINGGIGNG. Its the same exact dimensions as the mx518(which is so comfortable for me) but its got fancy weights(I've got it at the heaviest setting, and it's nice and hefty), very cool looking, and so accurate.

The finish is strange at first but you get used to it. Unlike other logitech gaming mouses (mx510, mx518, g7) this has a matte finish, instead of a clear coat on top of the paint. It feels like it has a sanded finish, which works suprisingly well for sweaty hands, and gives great grip. It doesnt feel uncomfortable at all(although I prefer the smooth clear finish). The side "grips) are also different. Instead of being smooth, they have a textured feel. It seems like the same material as other logitech mouses, but it has a sandpaper feel to it. Again, its wierd but very comfortable after you get used to it. I love this mouse :D

Have you noticed while playing the game , it randomly crashes? I get a crash evey 60-90 minutes... It makes me sad... Maybe the 1.1 patch will fix it...

I did install the new nvidia beta drivers for black and white 2, and they helped , but it still crashes for me... Nvidia Beta Drivers for BLACK AND WHITE 2

Great game tho, I am just getting to the 3rd island! :) I had to take a break to watch LOST :)

You know what I noticed? I CANT INSTALL THE GAME. Every time it's half way through copying files off of disc 2 I get an error message. Its says something about error redundancy cyclical check or something like that. AFAIK, that means the disc is messed up. I tried cleaning it but nothing works :( GGKTHNX EA

Prodigious said:
You know what I noticed? I CANT INSTALL THE GAME. Every time it's half way through copying files off of disc 2 I get an error message. Its says something about error redundancy cyclical check or something like that. AFAIK, that means the disc is messed up. I tried cleaning it but nothing works :( GGKTHNX EA

You have the PC-CD version also ... I wish it would have been on DVD in the USA... My 3rd disk didn't like my CD-RW drive, so I installed the whole game from my DVD\CD drive and all went well...

Also.... did you pre-order and get the tiger? :) I did and I really like it :) Hope you get to play soon...

See if you can borrow a Dvd drive from someone, almost always cyclic redudancy checks are drive specific at least from my experiance

I tried both of my drives. Both are Plextors, which aren't known for having read errors, or errors of any kind. This is the first time I've had a problem with either drive. I have a plexwriter premium and px-708a. I'm going to try adjusting the laser strength on the plexwriter, although I think it only affects writing, not reading. Maybe isobuster or some other program can help. :(

lordkosc said:
Also.... did you pre-order and get the tiger? :) I did and I really like it :) Hope you get to play soon...
Do you realize that they left it on a completely open ftp therefore pretty much anyone can get it now? I've got to laugh at EA for now haha.

@ Prodigious: Why not make isos of the CDs then mount them in a virtual drive like the one in alcohol 120% or daemon tools? Seems like it'd work if it's really a drive issue.

There's something wrong with the cd. I reach 39% in isobuster trying to extract the raw data, and then it starts getting tons of read errors. I've set it to replace all erros with 0's, but if its too msessed up I probably won't be able to install the the game properly even using a virtual drive. This is rediculous.

Screw this Im going to get a cd replacement from EA. But knowing them, they'll be jerkoffs about it and not give me one. I know Gamestop sure as hell isn't gonig to replace my copy.

lordkosc said:
I did install the new nvidia beta drivers for black and white 2, and they helped , but it still crashes for me... Nvidia Beta Drivers for BLACK AND WHITE 2
IT'S FINALLY MINE PRESCIOUS!

Nice heads up on that driver, if it doesn't run right away on the 77.77s I'll install it.

I just found the link to patch 1.1 to skip the tutorial, but they're not releasing it yet!! :mad: If anyone has a copy of this 106 meg file pls link to it!

I used to get the CRC errors with my UT2003 final CD, I found just jumping in the BIOS and doing a combination of disabling IDE Prefetch, IDE Bus Master, turning it to PIO let me install it without errors - perhaps try that before you go to the trouble of sending it back.

Im going to run to the shops on the way home from uni to see if they have it :)

I went to gamestop tonight. First I called them and explained the cd glitch. The manager, who Im on good terms with, said that they usually have an "open once, own forever" policy, meaning once it's open, it doesn't matter if the cds inside were busted during shipping, they dont take it back or exachange it. However, he was nice enough to let me bring in my copy, and get it replaced. I was, right it was the cd. The new copy installed without a hitch. This game RULES. The tutorial made me flip out though. I had to sit through 5 minutes of "press mouse button two and drag left to move the screen...." and then, when you miss, its does that slow *** reset where the guy goes "im sorry but you moved too much in the wrong direction. Please click and hold the highlighted area"

Fighter2a said:
So, whats the game like?
It's like nothing else :p

First there is a city building element that takes up a lot of my time. You drag and drop buildings and create a city, consisting of temples, houses, storehouses, etc like a normal RTS. Except as you get more good or evil, everything in your city shows it. For instance, I'm a 100% evil god, my buildings are decorated in fire and are painted black. The ground is a cracked lava surface with no grass, and bugs crawl all over it.

Then there is the creature element, which is totally better than I expected. The creature is about 40 feet high and can assume roles of a builder, gatherer, soldier, or entertainer. Or you can leave your creature to do whatever it feels like, it's hillarious, it will yell out everything it does like, "I'm going to poop on that villager's head!" As an army unit the creature can stomp on troops or catapults, punch down walls, and cast miracles like fire or lightning. The creature has two bars, Free Will and Alignment, to show you how obedient and how good/evil your creature is. If you have the Soldier role on, the creature will lose his free will in about an hour, but if you want him to roam around and be happy, just put the free will leash on him and he gets his free will back.

The stuff that makes the game so awesome are the graphics, the ability to pick up mass amounts of villagers (and throw them), and the virtual pet kind of creature. The physics engine is cool, after a catapult takes a chunk out of your city wall, you can grab the rock and throw it back at them! The other sweet thing is that you can rotate the view to any angle, direction, or zoom. You can zoom up as close as Rome: Total War, but you can zoom out about 10X as much so your troops look like ants.

By far the best thing is the creature, I <3 my lion because he pwns in battle but also break dances for my villagers.

hehe I chose the tiger for my creature - I just got the 1.1 patch, it apparently fixes a few problems that may arise if you try and finish some lands, so recommend you dl it (100mb)

this game wins! :)

How much of an improvement is this over the first? I enjoyed the first one but after a while it got boring, is it just the same thing with better graphics?

Feydd said:
How much of an improvement is this over the first? I enjoyed the first one but after a while it got boring, is it just the same thing with better graphics?
The big improvement is the creature's intelligence, it's similar to the last game in that you use the leash to command him, but little thought bubbles will appear over his head when he wants to do something. That way you know what you're rewarding him for, and you can shape his personality a lot better. The creature vs creature fighting is different than the original, they will just fight instead of you having to click repeatedly on the enemy.

City building is now a major element of the game, the bigger and more impressive your city, other towns will migrate to your town! The only down side to city building is that you don't start out with all the buildings, you have to earn them by gaining 'tribute' (different to prayer power/mana) and buying new buildings. For instance, you do a silver scroll quest and get 40,000 tribute, and now you can buy the ability to build a skyscraper or a university. Plus every building reflects your alignment, you can see how the buildings in the screenshot are dark and decorated with fire, and the ground is cracked and showing lava.

Armies are the evil element that has been added, and you can raise armies of grunts, archers, and catapults. You use armies to capture towns, but the creature does more of my warring for me. The creature can punch down city defenses, stomp on enemy platoons, or cast miracles like fireball/lightning/meteor to kill them(the three passive miracles are heal, shield, and water.

Lastly, the graphics are much improved.

Back