• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would you upgrade in this system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KidJethro

My specs are in the sig.

Would you upgrade to a x2 chip on this mobo right now? Or wait till the money comes in and pick up a DFI LP and x2 chip at the same time? Which would also require me to get a new vid card too.... :bang head

I'm pretty sure I can swing a x2 4800 right now....but the DFI and a 7800 GTX is waaay out of my price range for abit. Gotta get the x2 chip as it's "the future", and cause the new Unreal Tournament 2007 is said to be optimized for the dual cores... :drool:

Anyways, what would you guys do/suggest?

Your system is fine, I wouldn't touch a thing until the next gen processors are out from either Intel or AMD. Just seems like a waste when your system is already very nice. I think the only thing I would is something about that "3800+ @ stock"

Well, arent the x2's "next gen" chips? Goin with a dual core chip is mostly to add alittle future proofing to my setup and I like the multi tasking improvement that would come with an x2 chip. I'm a gamer almost exclusively...it would be cool to play a game and burn a cd or somthing all at the same time. My vid card I know is pretty much fine for now.

As for the @ stock thing....This is my first AMD system, my old one was a P4 [email protected]. It's alot different with the A64's...The las time I jumped into the BIOS to to tinker around, the thing locked up so hard that I had to clear the CMOS with the little jumper. I've been reading the stickies lately to "learn myself", so something will be done about it soon. Be nice to hit 2.6-2.7. :)

Sorry about that, I didn't really clarify what I mean't by next gen processors. It just seems a little late in the game to go and revamp your system, especially a system as nice as yours. What I mean't by next gen CPU's are the new sockets M2 for AMD, and I don't know for Intel :p Honestly if you could get your processors @ 2.6-2.7 or further I think you might change your mind with getting new components for an already great system. If you HAVE to change something because you're in the buyin' mood I would say just grab the 7800GTX since you can migrate it over if you do decide on waiting for the new socket processors.

Well, I guess you could say I'm in the buyin mood...

But about the only thing I can really upgrade right now is my processor. I can't get a new vid card cause my mobo is only AGP. A x2 4800+ is $880 on Pricewatch right now. I can swing that...but the addtional $400 for a 7800gtx or the upcoming x1800xt, and the $170 for the DFI is too much right now.

I dunno...dammit. This obsession is expensive :bang head

I would upgrade the motherboard to a Nforce 4 SLI mobo, 1 sell the 2 X 512 and get 1 X 1GB RAM say DDR433 or higher

If he gets a nForce4 mobo, then he'll need a new CPU and a new video card as well.

I would highly recommend AGAINST the X2 4800+. It may be the most expensive X2 out there now, but that doesn't mean it's the best to buy. The X2 4400+ and X2 4800+ are pretty much the same, both have 2MB L2 Cache and both would perform exactly the same when clocked to a higher speed. But would probably max out at about the same speeds when OCed as well, maybe the X2 4800+ getting a little higher.

I'd probably either say spend your money now, or wait for M2. With your budget, I'd say you can get a DFI and a X2 4400+. Heck, even a X2 3800+ is fine, both are about the same for gaming and OCing, it's just that the X2 3800+ has 1MB of L2 Cache while the X2 4400+ has 2MB of L2 Cache. The extra cache only helps and probably gives 3-4fps and a few seconds in load times, most say its not worth the extra $ you pay for it.

So even a X2 3800+ and DFI and a 6800GT could fit in your budget. If you really are tight on money, I'd just say get a cheap 6600GT and save a few more for the 7800GTX. Maybe even stick with onboard video for now, save for a few weeks, then get the 7800GTX, that way you'll appreciate how big of a difference the GTX can make over onboard video.

But in reality, your system is fine, a 3800+ is a great CPU and should be able to play almost all games at this moment with pretty good settings, maybe even high on all. I'd say the X2 is more of a want then a need for you, but isn't everything a want for all of us? :p

your running at stock speeds?? Try pushing that processor, I'm sure you could get some good performance out of it. I see no reason for you to upgrade, but I know what you mean about the obsession being expensive -lol.

maybe replace mobo with a dfi and get a beter psu and some tccd based ram? seriously tht system is already pretty damn good

Any upgrade you could make at this point would either be incredibly pricey, pointless, or both. It would be a good time to hang tight until socket M2 at least for someone in your situation, unless you really, really really have the urge to do some heavy multitasking...which doesn't seem to be the case.

in my eyes any update @ this time is waste of money just hold your money a bit until m2 socket come out then a full update

darksparkz said:
If he gets a nForce4 mobo, then he'll need a new CPU and a new video card as well.

I would highly recommend AGAINST the X2 4800+. It may be the most expensive X2 out there now, but that doesn't mean it's the best to buy. The X2 4400+ and X2 4800+ are pretty much the same, both have 2MB L2 Cache and both would perform exactly the same when clocked to a higher speed. But would probably max out at about the same speeds when OCed as well, maybe the X2 4800+ getting a little higher.

I'd probably either say spend your money now, or wait for M2. With your budget, I'd say you can get a DFI and a X2 4400+. Heck, even a X2 3800+ is fine, both are about the same for gaming and OCing, it's just that the X2 3800+ has 1MB of L2 Cache while the X2 4400+ has 2MB of L2 Cache. The extra cache only helps and probably gives 3-4fps and a few seconds in load times, most say its not worth the extra $ you pay for it.

So even a X2 3800+ and DFI and a 6800GT could fit in your budget. If you really are tight on money, I'd just say get a cheap 6600GT and save a few more for the 7800GTX. Maybe even stick with onboard video for now, save for a few weeks, then get the 7800GTX, that way you'll appreciate how big of a difference the GTX can make over onboard video.

But in reality, your system is fine, a 3800+ is a great CPU and should be able to play almost all games at this moment with pretty good settings, maybe even high on all. I'd say the X2 is more of a want then a need for you, but isn't everything a want for all of us? :p

Why would I need a new cpu? My 3800+ is 939....Is there some reason I don't know about that I couldn't put a x2 4400+ in this mobo? The x2 4400 is $525 right now on pricewatch. I could afford that right now.

And why would I go from an X800 XT PE to a 66/6800 GT?

Onboard video? Are you serious? I spend 95% of my time on this system playing games. And I loooove eye candy. I have a 20.1" Viewsonic VP201s flat panel..native res at 1600x1200...What onboard video can play a game at 1600x1200 at max details?

Anyways, I'm starting to agree with most of you guys. I suppose waiting would be best bet. Which would bring me to trying to get a bit more out of this 3800+.....Last night I tried getting it to 2500- I figured 100mhz would be a simple no brainer. 10x250/4x htt. Ram set at 2.5/3/3/7. CPU/RAM at stock voltage. It wouldn't get into windows at all...I would get a disk read error. What am I missing here? 100mz should be simple right? Lower multi, higher fsb? Maybe 9x280? Or higher multi, lower fsb? 11x228?

I suppose I should just do it right and follow the guidlines in the sticky post....But I'm inpatient dammit. :argue: :) :)

KidJethro said:
I suppose I should just do it right and follow the guidlines in the sticky post....But I'm inpatient dammit.

Being impatient with an overclock is a good way to fry your CPU (which, I guess, would force you to get a new one). But to echo others' comments, you have a very nice system and it really doesn't make sense to upgrade. Read the stickies on overclocking, check out other sites and their stickies, then get with the sickness! :cool:

I would try 11x228 with the said timings and take it from there. Keep the ldt at 4x until you go past 250htt.
If 11x228 is stable then increase htt (maybe by 5 at a time). unitl unstable then add voltage. Keep an eye with your temps. I personally want my cpu below 50c full load.

Here's a quick and dirty A64 clock guide. It's really short and simple. I used it when I got my A64. Was at 2.7ghz in no time.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=391768

My advice is to not spend for the sake of spending. Often, in this environment, people buy faster hardware just for the thrill of buying it. It's the expectation, not the actual results, that usual drive people. Save the money and wait until it can make a significant difference rather than throwing it away for the sake of a credit card adrenaline rush.

Where does everyone get this money anyway? I always get this feeling that no one else has to pay for things like, say, life.

An X2 is not going to give you any advantages over a 3800+ for gaming. If you do feel a need to upgrade something, get a 2 gig set of Ballistix. 2 gigs of RAM is huge in games, you can run everything @ max. Upgrading RAM is where you will see the biggest improvement in gaming performance with your current system.

johan851 said:
Where does everyone get this money anyway? I always get this feeling that no one else has to pay for things like, say, life.

Heh, I'm 29 years old, single, live by myself, no car payment, and I have a decent job. Thats how I afford my toys. :)

Back