• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to ship a processor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

what

What do you use to ship a processor in? I don't have the hard plastic holder that it came with anymore. Do they sell a special holder for this anywhere?

The chip is a P4.

What package? 478? 775?

if its a 775 you could put it in a small antistatic bag wrapped tightly around it and put it in some foam. 478 obviously you couldnt because it has pins. In the past when shipping 478's i have gotten some hard foam (like the foam that some processors used to come stuck in) and stick the pins in the foam, that will keep them from bending. Then put in an antistatic bag with more foam around it.

anti static bag is a must. black antistatic foam is also a good thing to use. also use a LOT of bubbles/peanuts. make sure that thing aint gonna get even budged...

Yes, it's socket 478. My brother lost the original packaging. Err....

I have lots of those antistatic bags, small ones, too. I'm rather worried about those pins. The foam idea sounds good, but how hard do you need to press for the pins to punch through? It won't bend them will it?

I'll definately be using those foam peanuts around it.

Stop by any local PC store in your area and ask them for a piece of the foam, i guarantee they will have some laying around somewhere. As long as you dont push on it sideways or something the pins shouldnt bend, just push it into the foam with even direct pressure. Shouldnt need to break a sweat to push it in but its ok to use a little force...after all they are tiny pins and should puncture right into it if its the right kind of foam.

Pack it in a small antistatic bag, pack that one in tissues or foam, then in cardboard, then in an envelope or larger cardboard box filled with plastic rubbish.

I'm sorry but I've never seen the bottem of a 775 chip. what do yuo mean they hav eno Pins?

Like this:

The pins are on the motherboard instead of on the chip.

my applause who ever came up with that idea too, cant tell you how many times i bumped the pins on chips over the years and bent them and straightened them with a trusty flat head screwdriver :)

I can't remember where I read it, but I read that motherboard manufacturers were upset with Intel because it was reported that after installing the CPU 10 or 12 times the pins were getting damaged on the new 775 mobos. Whereas before, bent pins were soley an Intel problem. Anyone know if this is actually true, or was I just reading a bunk article?

what said:
I can't remember where I read it, but I read that motherboard manufacturers were upset with Intel because it was reported that after installing the CPU 10 or 12 times the pins were getting damaged on the new 775 mobos. Whereas before, bent pins were soley an Intel problem. Anyone know if this is actually true, or was I just reading a bunk article?

It was a common heard complaint when 775 was introduces but i haven't heard of it since.

Back