• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need to upgrade my CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The_man27

Well after 2+ years of service from my 2.4C @ 3.12 I feel the need to go faster.

The mobo is Abit IS7; a socket 478 obviously... I was looking for a 3.0C but I cannot seem to find northwoods anywhere... would a Prescott be a better choice?

I know they have a longer pipeline and are slower clock for clock than NW, but are they really worth it? I remember them having heat issues after initial release, and i was wondering if intel fixed that little problem?

Also what other CPUs can I get to notice an improvement?
Not much to choose from, u nless I upgrade the motherboard to 775, but I do not want to do that now...

thanks all :santa:

EDIT: wow i haven't posted in so long... my sig needs work hehe

You can check the classifieds for Northwoods, I see em on there everyday. You would see a performance jump if you get a 3.0C or 3.2C. You will see a lot of Northwoods in the classifieds due to people wanting to go LGA775. Just keep your eyes peeled.

A Prescott IMO wouldn't be a good choice w/ your current mainboard. The Prescotts start beating the Northies above 3.5-3.6Ghz. Your board probably couldn't take a Prescott above 3.6ghz due to having such weak MOSFETS. So, go w/ a Northwood, very conservative chips (For heat anyways)

XO says it all. The Prescott will work "OK" in your present mobo, but you won't be able to give it much voltage. Prescotts still run warm, but the later steppings are a little better. You have to deal with the extra heat in order to overclock. To be honest, I would just keep what you have until you are ready to do a complete platform change.

Back