• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTO2 but with next gen cards coming...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Highendtoys

The GTO2 is out but with the X1600 cards coming out next month why is everyone getting os excited?

The newer cards will take advantage of SM3 and HDR while the X850 (GTO2) cannot. As NVIDIA asks, why buy old technology?

Highendtoys said:
The GTO2 is out but with the X1600 cards coming out next month why is everyone getting os excited?

The newer cards will take advantage of SM3 and HDR while the X850 (GTO2) cannot. As NVIDIA asks, why buy old technology?

An unlocked GTO2 is better through and through than any X1600. The SM2 that the X800 series uses and SM3 are nearly identical anyways. Very little is or can be gained through 3 over the 2 that the X800 series has. Also, why pay the same or more for some X1600 card that performs worse than an X850XT?

Looking at benchmark scores, the X850XT PE completely thrashes the X1600XT. That is why people buy "old technology." It isn't even old though. It is pretty much SAME technology.

Think about what card is to replace the X850XT PE, the X1800's.

Highendtoys said:

:welcome: to the forums....
I'll put my GTO2 up against any new card other than a 7800 or X1800. For the money there is no better deal to be had.

It is very easy to lose focus of things when running SLI 7800 GTX cards. I have one of the first US review samples and I have to say that I am becoming pretty impressed with this little card.

Yuriman said:
Em... just wondering, what does 7800GTX SLI have to do with X1600's and GTO²'s?

The fact of the matter is that he is questioning the value of the GTO2 compared to next-gen cards in general.

Last time I checked, the 7800 counted as a next-gen solution :)

deception``

Actually hwat I meant was I took out 2 7800 GTX cards to put in the GTO2 because well that is my job. Sometimes it is easy to lose focus of the value part when testing products when you do not have to really work to get them. I mean I work for them since I have only slept 5 hours since Friday doing the testing and writing a review but that is not really work by most peoples defination. As a hardware reviewer you don't pay for the products you receive they are sent to you, sometimes you have to ask for them and other times they just appear on your door.

Back