• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI NF4 -- I'm tired of DFI now.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
when this, sadly, has happned to me. I would take out all but one stick of RAM, move it to the primary slot (0 or 1) of the opposite color it was in, and take out the cmos battery for about 20 minutes and using the flash cmos jumper as well. Come back, don't move the RAM and put the battery and jumper back into place and see if that fixes it.

Looking at your sig g0dM@n, look at fldrice's, Janus67's and Son1990's sigs as well. Compare them togheter and look for yourself what's the common thing between you. You all have memory with UTT chips, and what you're facing here is the issues on the boards power circulation, more specified the boards memory power circulation.

I'm facing this same issue everytime I shut down my PC. I don't like it but there's really nothing we can do for it until DFI gives us the new Expert model. Otherwise this board is awesome, but it is indeed sad this just has to happen with memory that uses UTT chips.

Do you have the 24 pin, the 4 pin, 4 pin molex, and 4pin floppy connector, connected?

--Josh

fldrice said:
Sound almost like the cold boot vdimm issue. Set the vdimm jumper to run off the 3.3v rail and see if it helps.

I've dealt with the coldboot issue before. I actually have a sticky about it that I made in the DFI section, so I know about that issue. :)

This one is very odd. I've had the system do this to me b4 but turning the psu of and then on always fixed it. Now, it seems permanent.

It sound to be it isn't a mobo problem.... I'm willing to bet my best pair of undies (sorry I'm currently broke) that we are talking about a short circuit problem here AND it has to do with the new fan you installed. Try going back to your old one.

These problems are beginning to sound like a nightmare. For a while I just assumed that while everyone has been having trouble with this board, it was due to user error. I am beginning to reconsider this however. I must just be lucky, as I have had no issues with this board and I am running UTT as well. Makes me nervous about swapping out components...

Yes, swapping out the components is what does it, dude... I've had lots of problems before with this board... even with putting my Audigy card in there... that does it too. It's a very STUPID board, literally. It's powerful, it puts out insane scores, but it's intellectually stupid, if that makes any sense to you.

Flipmode, as I stated earlier... the board has shown me this problem before, but the psu off then on trick always fixed it. This time nothing fixes it.

I will now spend another full day working on it... god I hate DFI, with a passion... if it comes out to be my error, then I will take back everything I've said thus far.

I'm going to swap out the PSU and the CPU now... grrr... so much of my time wasted already.

God, I'm sorry but its just too much of a coincidence with you changing an electrical component and the mobo acting up and on top of that you said you did something with the new fan and it sorta worked...

What the HELL?

It's the PSU!? I believe my OCZ 600W is shot... how the F did that happen? All I did was take the vcard out, change the cooling, and put it back... how the heck did that kill the PSU?

I hooked up my spare 420watt Thermaltake with a 20-24pin adapter and the computer turns on. Now let me see if I can get her to POST.

I don't know what to blame. All I did was change the cooling on the video card, and hooked up a TMD fan that requires a 3-pin fan plug... that is all.

Alright... I got a POST screen. Here is all I have hooked up:

--Thermaltake 420watt PSU to the board
--swapped out CPU from 3000 venice to 3200 venice (spare) with SK7 laying on CPU (WC block was off)
--1x512 ram in top orange slot closest to edge of board
--sapphire x850xt with 6-pin power to it
--keyboard
--monitor

I got her to post in with the safeboot jumper... I saved and exited and now I can boot without the safeboot jumper enabled.

So... OCZ 600W has died. Why? I have no clue. I didn't even beat the crap outa that thing. I was running this system at 298x9 1.63vcore, 3.4vdimm, videocard stock 24-7... I didn't even do half of what this PSU is made for.

So for all of you that have the same symptoms as me where the computer CRANKS and doesn't turn on, maybe your PSU is on the way out.

OCZ RMA here I come. I think removing a PSU is more work than a mobo come to think of it. I have to unclip all the zipties and all the wire neatening I've done. Oh well, at least she's still alive.

Case dismissed. I knew I'd get to the bottom of it. Now I gotta put my original 3000 venice back in.

Good to know the motherboard was not to blame. I don't know why I didn't suggest the PSU :-/

Anyhow, OCZ's RMA is top-notch....I'll sure they'll get you squared away in no time.

deception``

Rattle said:
sry man

try another card are you certain that you didnt bork your gfx card, symptoms are the same as no VGA detected.

If the video card just wasn't detected, it would still power on, but give you four or three bleeps and/or just no response, even when it's powered on.

RJARRRPCGP said:
If the video card just wasn't detected, it would still power on, but give you four or three bleeps and/or just no response, even when it's powered on.
Thanks. That's why I didn't blame the vid card. You can turn a motherboard on with no cpu, no ram, and no vid... I've done it before. It'll power on, but give you beeps when there is no cpu, ram, or video detected.

To bad I didn't see this thread earlier. When I read your first post I was ready to reply telling you to check your psu.

I just jumped my PSU, so that it turns on without a mobo attached. The rails looked fine, so I decided to put a load on it. I hooked up a floppy, a dvd drive, and 2 hard drives... the rails are still fine.

I have no clue what to do. I hooked the OCZ 600W back up to my mobo and the mobo still only cranks and doesn't turn on. The mobo turns on perfectly fine with the TT psu.

So if my rails look fine even with a few devices hooked up to the psu, then why can't it power up my mobo? I made sure there are no loose wires, and that it was fully plugged in. I'm plugging in the 24-pin atx from the OCZ600 and also the 4-pin +12v plug. That is all... WTF! :(

The DFI also has a tendency to be very picky with PSUs. It doesn't like the PC P&C 510w, 850w SLI, or the Seasonic S12 600w - all top-of-the-line units.

What does it do when you have those hooked up to it?

Back