• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI NF4 -- I'm tired of DFI now.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
Alright, I think I'm almost ready to say that I will not be buying DFI products anymore. They are nothing but a waste of my time now.

All I did just a couple hours ago was change the cooling on my x850xt and put it back in. Now, all the mobo does is that all the fans and stuff turn on for like a SPLIT SECOND. I turn the power on on the back of my OCZ 600W, wait a few seconds til the lights on the mobo are on, and then when I push the power button my cold cathodes, and my fans light up and spin for a SPLIT SECOND and then stop... SO FAST! I've seen this before, but when I see this happen I usually turn off the power on the PSU, and then when I turn it back on it works.

The thing is... after everything flashes like that and then goes away the power button then never has any affect on the board unless I turn the power off on the PSU and then back on. Basically, I get one crack for everytime I turn the PSU off and then on. Each crank is lasting a SPLIT second and I cannot get the sucker to boot now.

I even tried without the video card and other accessories. I took the my Audigy sound card outa the PCI slot too, cleared CMOS... etc.

DFI is so trouble-some... my 875 board is also flaky.

Anyone have a clue on how to fix, or would also like to tell me that DFI is buggy?

Did you try the 'safe boot' jumper on the board?

Unplug the PSU, reset the safe boot jumper, and then plug it back and to see if it works for you.

deception``

The NF4 Dfi motherboard is VERY touchy when changing out the parts. make sure you do this. first turn off the power supply switch. then press the power button like 10 times to get all the power out of they system. take the power cord out of the PSU. (i would also take all 4 of the power connecters to the motherboard out) take the battery out. Put the cmos into the cleared pos. Stick only 1 stick of ram in the top orange slot only. make sure only the psu, cpu, ram, vga and motherboard are connected. wait about 30 minutes with no power at all to it and the battery out and the cmos still in the cleared. then but the battery in, then the cmose back to the boot pos. plug the power in. and see what happens. :) either that or your videocard is flakey

g0dM@n said:
Alright, I think I'm almost ready to say that I will not be buying DFI products anymore. They are nothing but a waste of my time now.

All I did just a couple hours ago was change the cooling on my x850xt and put it back in. Now, all the mobo does is that all the fans and stuff turn on for like a SPLIT SECOND. I turn the power on on the back of my OCZ 600W, wait a few seconds til the lights on the mobo are on, and then when I push the power button my cold cathodes, and my fans light up and spin for a SPLIT SECOND and then stop... SO FAST! I've seen this before, but when I see this happen I usually turn off the power on the PSU, and then when I turn it back on it works.

The thing is... after everything flashes like that and then goes away the power button then never has any affect on the board unless I turn the power off on the PSU and then back on. Basically, I get one crack for everytime I turn the PSU off and then on. Each crank is lasting a SPLIT second and I cannot get the sucker to boot now.

I even tried without the video card and other accessories. I took the my Audigy sound card outa the PCI slot too, cleared CMOS... etc.

DFI is so trouble-some... my 875 board is also flaky.

Anyone have a clue on how to fix, or would also like to tell me that DFI is buggy?

I have been having the same problom. It also seems for me like the onboard switches for on/off/reset dont work and only turns on if I use an actual button.

Try unplugging everything non necesarry (Fans,lights,etc.) and power on via PSU. Then press on button. If it works then put everything back in the way it was. If then once again after turning on PSU and the flash of lights and the press of the ON button it dosent turn on....take out lights and try it. I found that keeping the lights on let the comp run normally, but with them off there were similar probloms.

Hope this helps.

What you mean take the lights out... the cathods?

Anyway... the point is that I don't want to have to waste a half hour and take everything apart just b/c of this stupid motherboard.

I definitely didn't mess up my video card... why? Well, b/c not only have I seen this stupid problem before, but without the vcard the board will still turn on. I took the video card out and tried booting like that and still exactly the same problem.

I'm going to let it sit with the battery out and cmos clear overnight... we'll see what happens tomorrow.

I really am beginning to think that this board is crap. Yes, it kicks *** when it works, but who cares when it wastes several hours of your time when it randomly decides to not work.

Yes I mean cathodes.

I dont want to tell you want to do, but get some sleep and wake up fresh. My DFI has given me some probloms as well but they will always be overcome and if not, DFI has an excellent RMA policy.

g0dM@n, are you overclocked and have you checked your cmos battery voltage? I readsome where also that holding down the reset for something like a minute does something to cure some issues on DFi boards when it fails to boot... sounds like the problems i had on my NFII solved it by just never turning it off (cold boot issues suck).

I don't like RMAing motherboards... it's a waste of several hours of my life. (taking my WCing apart... EVERY ziptie apart... mailing it back, which including packing, driving to PO, waiting on line, paying money... waiting for the replacement to get back... redoing the sli mod... putting it back into my system... redo all the zipties...)

I do NOT want to RMA this piece of crap!!!

Okay... sry if I sound angry, but I'm just tired. Will get back to ya guys tomorrow... i'm exhausted!!

See....tiredness gets the best of us, you will make a more sensable decision when you wake up :)

Goodnight godman

I am also beginning to tire of DFI. My ultra-d has to be sent for rma because of bios problems, and they are even making me pay for it. My 250gb isn't serving me any better, as it has some serious stability problems that are slowly worsening. Doubt I will buy from them again.

just for the record. dfis RMA policy is not among the best i have had to deal with. to be fair, they havnt given any problems per se, but it took them a while to respond to my emails/calls and i just feel like other companys do a better job. even though its not required, its always nice to know you will have a brand new motherboard (in the box with everything retail) when something goes wrong with yours. from what i have heard, DFI just sends you the bare motherboard and who knows who had it last or where the heck it came from. meh.

Good morning.

*EDIT*
Stll doesn't turn on.

Last edited:
sry man

try another card are you certain that you didnt bork your gfx card, symptoms are the same as no VGA detected.

Really?

I think the computer will still POWER UP even without a video card. I'm almost certain.

Btw, everything is disconnected except the PSU (24-pin plug and the 4-pin), one stick ram, and cpu.

Mate,

Are you sure that the cables are secure and there is no short ckt? Since you have another cheap PCI-E board, did you test the x850 in it?

I cannot test the card anywhere else.

The funny thing is last night it was doing this crank, crank thing over and over and then I tried something... The fan I had on the card was hooked up to a zalman controller and then into the fan channel out on the mobo. I decided to bypass the zalman controller and then I tried turning the computer on. The computer turned on completely and then after a few seconds I turned it off b/c I thought I fixed the problem. I put stuff back together and then it was doing the same problem again.

How come I got it to work ONCE? I will have to try a diff card in there, but I just put the stock cooler back on the video card and the core is NOT crushed or anything... the thing looks perfectly fine.

If I can't get this to run and it is the board, I am officially going to become a non-DFI fan. No board has taken more of my time than this thing.

of course it will turn on but it wont post without a video card lol are you getting any beeps, what I was saying is it sounds like a dead video card, or same symptoms as one...

Symptoms are NOT the same as no VGA detected. The system will stay on without a video card, and likely just beep a POST code at you. I would blame the board, unless you've got another card to test it with. Welcome to the world of DFI.
I don't like RMAing motherboards... it's a waste of several hours of my life.
In my case it was a waste of 3-4 weeks of my life. I had to return the same motherboard three times, twice at my expense, because they couldn't get it right.

until you test another card you really cant say its the board, if another card doesnt work then you know its the board, but until then....

Back