• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your steam account has been disabled? wtf?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok, ive got a question about something that just happened to me as i tried to connect to cs:s. It said that there was an authenticiation error or something and it couldnt connect to the server. So I exited it out and re-tryed it but the same thing happened.Is the whole cs:s system the one to blame or is something wrong with my computer?

I also had my account disabled by steam for no reaosn what so ever. I am a linux user so I hardly ever play games. I played last in about may on my linux box. Then in july i tried to get back in and my account had been disabled. I just said screw it and will no longer buy any valve products. I had preordered the game online before it came out and got it directly form valve. So I dont think it is worth my time to try to get them to fix it.

I also had my account disabled by steam for no reaosn what so ever. I am a linux user so I hardly ever play games. I played last in about may on my linux box. Then in july i tried to get back in and my account had been disabled. I just said screw it and will no longer buy any valve products. I had preordered the game online before it came out and got it directly form valve. So I dont think it is worth my time to try to get them to fix it.

Well I got an official response from a valve represenative this afternoon. Apparently somehow my account got hijacked and they disabled it to prevent it from getting permanently banned. They sent me a replacement account password and said it would be reactivated once I entered the password. Good news to hear that this is resolved and that they weren't accusing me of cheating... but it is troubling to know it got hijacked. Odd thing is I do weekly virus/worm/trojan scans aswell as spyware malware scans... and I havn't found any of the above in months.. oh well.. situation resolved.

12am said:
Well I got an official response from a valve represenative this afternoon. Apparently somehow my account got hijacked and they disabled it to prevent it from getting permanently banned. They sent me a replacement account password and said it would be reactivated once I entered the password. Good news to hear that this is resolved and that they weren't accusing me of cheating... but it is troubling to know it got hijacked. Odd thing is I do weekly virus/worm/trojan scans aswell as spyware malware scans... and I havn't found any of the above in months.. oh well.. situation resolved.

a hijacked account wont necessarily be caused by a virus worm or trojan. It could be as simple as a key gen randomly hitting your account as a valid key.

Im glad that it wasnt a permanant ban or a cheating related ban

but for the people accused of cheating related bans im pretty sure valve ignores just about all please for account reactivation. This is because almost everyone who is caught cheating denies it and if you look on the steam forums there are a number of long denial threads where the poster has accidentally proved that they were using cheats, so the small number of accidents are not worth vlalves time since they would have to go through and enourmous amount of effor for everyone.

No I don't get me wroong i am definatly not acussing you of cheating, we know why you temporily lost access and thankfully the issue has been resolved, Im just say for the people who get banned do to accused cheating

apu318 said:
All servers do if your files differ is disconnect you. There was another thread like this. The only way that you would get banned is if you were cheating, sharing your account or breaking any other TOS. It is never an accident.

I thought it was never an accident? Looks like he wasn't cheating ( and I suspected he wasn't based on the way he stated things), he wasn't sharing his account info, and wasn't breaking any Terms of Service. Looks like it was an accident after all.

My bet is that Valve fed him a line too! I'd almost put money on it, that the account was not hijacked, but it was their server that was hosed and caused the problem. I also bet that they knew this, and this is why they let him back on. If they said that multiple IP's were being used to access the account, how did they know it wasn't being shared, or that a user wan't trying a DDoS attack? The answer is they didn't, becasue it never happened that way! Can you say "Valve BS"?

BUSTED Valve!

This wasnt an accident. Someone purposely used his account without his authorization. No one accidentally stole his password and logged on. The reason why he did get his account back was because he wasn't sharing it, and it was not to his knowledge.

Also, the way VAC works, by using pieces of code from public hacks to detect it in the memory of your computer, it is almost impossible for VAC to be duped.

I hate Valve as much as you, but your conspiricy theory is rediculous. This isnt the US gov't we're talking about.

Then explain how they knew it was safe to let him back on. They let him back on. How did they know it wasn't him? Becasue it never happened.

No it's not the US Gov't, and I didn't say there was any conspiracy...that is what YOU said. Don't put words in my mouth.

I said they lied, and they did. The evidence is right there. If the account was jacked, they wouldn't hesitate to lock it down, and they wouldn't let anybody back on.

If you doubt this, go on there and try jacking a few IP's on one account and see for yourself if they let you back on. Tell them "It wasn't me" and see if they believe you.

Servers get hosed all the time, and the people running them will make you think that never happens. They lie all the time about it. That's nothing new.

You dont make any sense... I said nothing to put words in your mouth. I never said it was a conspiricy... why don't you read my post instead of being a biligerant person that needs to let their steam out elsewhere, and read my posts. (No steam pun intended. :p)

There was some reason that set the flag to disable his account, and that flag was that it was hijacked. Obviously some random account would not be disabled for no reason, because there is no reason to even consider that specific account. Therefore it was not an accident. With your logic, all normal accounts would be disabled because it was an accident since there is no variation between accounts, other than contact info, ect.

They will let you back on if you contact them proving it is your account because they have verified the actual user.

If you want to argue, go join a debate team. We don't want biligerant, snappy responses here. Just discussion.

apu318 said:
You dont make any sense... I said nothing to put words in your mouth. I never said it was a conspiricy... why don't you read my post instead of being a biligerant person that needs to let their steam out elsewhere, and read my posts. (No steam pun intended. :p)

There was some reason that set the flag to disable his account, and that flag was that it was hijacked. Obviously some random account would not be disabled for no reason, because there is no reason to even consider that specific account. Therefore it was not an accident. With your logic, all normal accounts would be disabled because it was an accident since there is no variation between accounts, other than contact info, ect.

They will let you back on if you contact them proving it is your account because they have verified the actual user.

If you want to argue, go join a debate team. We don't want biligerant, snappy responses here. Just discussion.

You don't get the concept of errors do you? The server had an error man. Again, the evidence is right there in front of your face.

I'm not here to debate anything. I resigned from the debate committe a long time ago. I will astraighten out false info when I see it though.

Server errors happen. Using your "logic" you would have people belive that the mchines are infallible. Kinda like another post in this forum I just read. Contrary to your beliefs machines to fault and they do error.

Proving you are who you say you are to them does not prove you were not the one doing it, so again, if they let him back on, they knew he wasn't the one doing it.

apu318 said:
I never said it was a conspiricy...

apu318 said:
I hate Valve as much as you, but your conspiricy theory is rediculous. This isnt the US gov't we're talking about.

Maybe you should take your own advice and read your own posts. You most certainly did say this some kind of conspiracy, and I was calling you on it. Like I said, don't put words in my mouth.

It only takes one good password sniffer as an active-x control or javascript to get a general idea of what you password might look like... then run it through a password generator based that will spit out variations. Visit any pr0n sites lately?

3DFlyer said:
Then explain how they knew it was safe to let him back on. They let him back on. How did they know it wasn't him? Becasue it never happened.

No it's not the US Gov't, and I didn't say there was any conspiracy...that is what YOU said. Don't put words in my mouth.

I said they lied, and they did. The evidence is right there. If the account was jacked, they wouldn't hesitate to lock it down, and they wouldn't let anybody back on.

If you doubt this, go on there and try jacking a few IP's on one account and see for yourself if they let you back on. Tell them "It wasn't me" and see if they believe you.

Servers get hosed all the time, and the people running them will make you think that never happens. They lie all the time about it. That's nothing new.

:argue: :argue: :argue: :argue:

As long as you aren't working for valve and you don't have access to steam management tools... you have absolutely NO basis to speculate. The only BS here is the rubbish your hosing this thread with.

hooflung said:
It only takes one good password sniffer as an active-x control or javascript to get a general idea of what you password might look like... then run it through a password generator based that will spit out variations. Visit any pr0n sites lately?

BTW, I can tell you this. Discussion of hacking and how it's carried out will will earn you a very short stay here and a long vacation. Read the rules.

Last edited:
Back