• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case Fan clips

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gig-O-Ram

I am going to mod my case for additional fans, and while I didn't think of this, a friend suggested that I try to squeeze 92mm fans into the back part of the case where there are 80mm fans now.

The case listed in my sig has mounts for 2 fans in the front and two in the back. If I want to put 92's in there, I would have to remove the mounts first, then do whatever was necessary to mount the 92mm's. My question is, can those mounts be removed? They seem to be clipped on the frame of the case, but they also seem like they are on there for life! Unless there is a clip holding them in place that I can't see...

Has anyone ever taken these mounts off before for the purpose of putting in bigger fans?

Gig-O-Ram said:
I am going to mod my case for additional fans, and while I didn't think of this, a friend suggested that I try to squeeze 92mm fans into the back part of the case where there are 80mm fans now.

The case listed in my sig has mounts for 2 fans in the front and two in the back. If I want to put 92's in there, I would have to remove the mounts first, then do whatever was necessary to mount the 92mm's. My question is, can those mounts be removed? They seem to be clipped on the frame of the case, but they also seem like they are on there for life! Unless there is a clip holding them in place that I can't see...

Has anyone ever taken these mounts off before for the purpose of putting in bigger fans?

its the antec-style plastic clips, correct?

If so, there IS a way to take it off. Look on the back of the chassis for some tabs.

SolidxSnake said:
its the antec-style plastic clips, correct?

If so, there IS a way to take it off. Look on the back of the chassis for some tabs.

Antec style clips? Yes, I suppose so...I didn't know they had their own unique kind, but yes.

I have seen the tabs you are talking about, and the whole clip looks as if it can just be moved to one side a little bit to remove it, but it doesn't seem to want to budge at all. Here are some pics of the clips to clarify...

Attachments

• DSC01023_a.jpg
    DSC01023_a.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 289
  • DSC01026_a.jpg
    DSC01026_a.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 276
Just pinch the tabs. Then it should come out. You might have to shim(each clip) as you go along. So they do not settle back into place.

dsc01023a1gc.jpg

I will have to give it another try. I did actually try to remove them for the heck of it not too long ago, but at that time I wasn't interested in having them break or something.

And it may be a tight fit, but I think 92mm's will just fit in these spots, at least for one if not two fans. But that is based on just measuring the space without taking it out and giving it a really good look. So I will have to measure it again to be sure.

Most 92MM housings are about 3 5/8". If you get rid of them 80MM. The fan selection is much better with the larger sizes. I would add about a 1/2" in between fans. If you have 8" you can easily get a set of 92MM back there. 7 1/2" would be cutting it close. Any smaller and your going to have to get creative.

I did the same thing to my old Cheiftec case. Two 92mm fans will fit but it's kind of tight. I made a new back panel out of 18G sheet metal with cutouts for two 92mm fans. I used rivets to attach the new panel and after painting the chassis it looked good. The other mod that helped with cooling was to rework the front of the case, I moved the drive cages up far enough to mount a 120mm fan. I lost one drive bay but it was well worth it.

Back