• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does UPS use trains for shipping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

meionm

As the tile says does ups use trains for ground shipping, I thought most of the delievers were done through trucks. I went on Ups website to check status of my delievery. It says Exception, reason Late train caused that delay.

Not that you really need more confirmation, but they do. I've had packages be late b/c they missed trains (particularly shipments out west) and packages fall off the train.

Most UPS packages are shipped via ground transportation (trucks & railroads). Longer trips use what the railroads call "Piggyback" or TOFC (Trailer On Flat Car).The truck trailer is loaded onto a railcar & hooked to a train & sent cross country.
UPS has a huge new sorting facility near Chicago in Hodgkins, IL. & the Santa Fe Railroad built a railyard right next to it to handle the huge number of trailers going thru that UPS facility.
-Dave

saltytheseagull said:
and packages fall off the train.

:mad: I would be so ****ed if that happened to one of my packages. Although that may explain the condition of some of the packages I've received.

"Um, sorry sir, your package fell off the train and got trampled by several dozen rail cars...."

They probably would never admit to it happening though.

Back