• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anybody have an ATI/VIVO card AND SB Audigy 2 ZS or X-Fi ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

electric sheep

I am now in the market for a new AGP card. I need to be able to capture AV, but do not need TV tuner functionality. So I am trying to determine if I can use an ATI card with VIVO rather than an AIW.

The VIVO cable allows video input via S-video or composite cable.
There is no apparent audio input. So I'm not quite certain how the video IN can be used.

Perhaps AV can be captured using the video card's VIVO cable for the video input, and a sound card w/ composite/coax inputs for the audio input.
I believe the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS and X-Fi cards all have a box with L/R composite audio input connections.

I need somebody to test this for me before I invest in a new video card. Volunteers will need:
- ATI card with VIVO
- Sound card with L/R composite audio inputs
- video capture software (ATI's MMC is free and easy to use)

Please try to capture video from any source (VCR, cable box, etc.) using either the S-video or composite video connector on the VIVO cable; and use L/R audio cables to connect the source to the sound card's inputs.

Record a small video file. Verify if playback includes audio.

THANK YOU very much to anybody who can and will try this.
I need to know if this works before I shell out $$ for a new ATI card.

using a 9800 pro AIW and a audigy 2zs I can capture video and the audio no problems, from cable TV...

Let me know if your interested in the 9800 pro AIW i will be putting it for grabs soon.

Rattle said:
using a 9800 pro AIW and a audigy 2zs I can capture video and the audio no problems, from cable TV...

Let me know if your interested in the 9800 pro AIW i will be putting it for grabs soon.
LOL - I recently broke my AIW 9800 Pro. So now I'm trying to see if I can accomplish the same things using a quality gaming card.
I never use the TV input. I only used the purple composite adapter, which captured AV from my digital cable box or VCR.

Since you said you captured using both devices (AIW & SB), can I ask you a few questions? Not sure if I'll be able to get anybody to try this with the newer cards.

Are you capturing from a cable BOX? If so...

What is the video cable connected to on the AIW? Is it one of the cables that connect to the black connector on the I/O bracket? Or did you connect to the S-vid or composite input on the purple adapter, which connects to the purple connector on the I/O bracket?

What are the audio cables connected to? Are they connected to the Sound Blaster's L/R audio inputs (Line In 3 - on my box)? Is there any audio input being fed to the video card? Or ONLY the sound card?

If you are capturing straight from the wall's coax (free/air cable), then you can't help me. That coax sends both audio and video through the TV input on the video card.

If you are using the purple adapter for both audio and video inputs, then you can't help me. That's how I've always captured video. I am trying to test using the video input via the black connector, and determine how to capture the audio (possibly using my Sound Blaster). If this is possible, then I can use a X800/850 XT instead of an AIW.

Just got this feedback from the rage3d.com forums:
"When you ser up MMC you can select which input you are using for sound from the sound card."

If this is true, then problem solved.
Thanks! Now it's time to pick out a new AGP card. :santa:

Well, I actually went ahead and ordered another AIW after all!
I was looking at the X800 & X850's on newegg and their weekend special on the AIW X800XT was unbeatable. Can't wait til it gets here!
:santa:

yeah its been awhile man, you have to tell it what input for sound, other than that I just got the cable tv line going into the card and thats it for wiring :shrug:

Even though it is too late, the Audio in for a regular VIVO card, not AIW, would be handled through the Line In on the Sound Card. Basically, you would connect your video source to the video card and your sound to the sound card.

...gotcha! Still good to know. That means I also have that option on the AIW. Maybe I'll get better audio through my Audigy's I/O box. Who knows? Something I can test!

Thanks guys! This forum is great; hasn't let me down yet.

Hey 'bchur83' - Do you have a larger pic of your monitors hosted anywhere? I have a triple setup too - three 17" SyncMaster 173T's. I'd like to get a closer look at your setup.

Back