• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800p overheating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mruno

Registered
Whenever I play black & white 2 or age of mythology for a few mins my computer displays a blank blue screen or sometimes reboots. I opened up my case and touched the vcard and it's heatsink and it is hot enought to burn me. It is not overclocked and has the oem heatsink.
What should I do?

forgot to add that my case temps stay around 37C. maybe I should RMA?

mruno said:
forgot to add that my case temps stay around 37C. maybe I should RMA?

Is the fan on the heatsink working at all? IF it is then I guess it'd be a good chance to RMA, how old is it?

dan

the fan is working. i rma'd my old 9800p a few months ago and got this one so this one is relatively new. if i remove the heatsink won't that void the warranty?

mruno said:
the fan is working. i rma'd my old 9800p a few months ago and got this one so this one is relatively new. if i remove the heatsink won't that void the warranty?
Well technically yes...but you would be doing the manufacturer a favor if faulty TIM was the problem. It's also very hard for someone to tell if you've removed the hsf and remounted it if you are using a TIM that looks similar to the stock TIM.

Tried ATItool? I believe it has a built-on heat sensor. It should work as long as your GPU is the R360, not the R350.

Dan0512 said:
Have you updated the drivers?

dan
I'm using cats 5.9

ghost_recon88 said:
Tried ATItool? I believe it has a built-on heat sensor. It should work as long as your GPU is the R360, not the R350.

It is r360 but I do not see the temp in ATItool. maybe because its not an XT PCB?
Also my 9800p is 256bit 128mb

My best guess is that it is a heat problem. Try putting some kind of fan beside it that cools it down well. If the heatsink is not too hot, and you are still getting artifacts, then I guess you could RMA :shrug: .

Good luck

dan

Back