• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modding an X850Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeFessler

Does anyone know where I can get some info on modding my ATI Radeon x850pro. I found a site that tells me how to mod it but I don't know how reliable it is and I wanted to ask here becuase this is the forum I've used to learn much of what I have already.

Is it possible to turn it into an x850xt?
How dangerous is doing this?

I did notice the sticky, but thats and x850pro agp I have a PCIe.

You can try the flash, the links in the sticked guide contain bio's for the PCI-X XT. Just make sure you card can handle those clocks (520x540) before hand and the worst that should happen is that you'll have a x850XT with 12 pipes...

I'm pretty positive it won't work, but, you never know

I don't want to risk screwing it up if it probably won't work. Also, I do believe my card has 14 pipes, im not home to see at the moment so I could be wrong. My card is clocked at 580x600 at the moment so I'm sure it would handle the speeds fine.

DeFessler said:
I don't want to risk screwing it up if it probably won't work. Also, I do believe my card has 14 pipes, im not home to see at the moment so I could be wrong. My card is clocked at 580x600 at the moment so I'm sure it would handle the speeds fine.

It is 12 pipes. There is no way for it to be 16 because pipes are blocked off in groups of 4.

oh, well not surprising that I'm wrong lol. Is it even worth getting an XT over a pro? What's the real difference?

DeFessler said:
oh, well not surprising that I'm wrong lol. Is it even worth getting an XT over a pro? What's the real difference?

I wouldn't do the upgrade. It is not worth it at all. The difference is that the XT gets theoretically 33% more work done per clock cycle, but it is usually a bit less than this in real life. The pros may overclock a little higher because of the reduced heat output of the core.

It depends, an overclocked pro can usually hang with a stock XT.

I'd say I gained around 2,000+pts in 3dmark03 going from 12pipes -> 16pipes with similar clocks.

Now would I upgrade to a XT from a Pro...probably not, unless it was a really good deal and I could sell the pro for a good price. Otherwise...nah

I will prolly jus work on overclocking, a bit. Not sure 100% how it works but I'm getting the hang of it. I have it at 580x600 now so we'll see.

Back