• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

infrared port

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well in fact i seen it done but i didnt know the guy and didnt have but 2 minutes in his house .. stopped by with a friend..

so i know its possible.. just dont know the software ... etc...

waiting patiently for a fellow oc member who has done this . i know there has got to be at least one ..

sounds pretty cool, but im not sure i would want to have to aim my laptop to change the channel.

do a web search for "the greenbutton community" its a forum for windows MCE and they have a nice forum concerning remotes and what not

Not without an additional device - Notebooks use an Irda which communicate with other notebooks, pdas and mobile phones whereas remotes use consumer IR.

However you can buy something like an USB-UIRT which will send out consumer IR from your laptop.

http://www.usbuirt.com/

well so is it internal ? cause i seen the dude use his laptop withough any devices attached and changed the channel..

i was under the impression with some slight reading (i have many differen views on this so far from many of threads) that your irda can learn a remotes ir output.

:D i have no clue man... i have found so many things stating this and that..

maybe i better hunt the man down ... lol all to change my channel with my remote..

i think i want it more as a prank thing than anything ... lol

Think you will find that they use different signals. Unless the laptop happens to have consumer IR (which is highly unlikely - though I think some pdas or pocket pcs might have it).
Check the site it is not internal it is attached to the usb port of the laptop or pc and is essential dumb (requeres additional software such as girder to get the relevant codes).

OC Detective said:
Think you will find that they use different signals. Unless the laptop happens to have consumer IR (which is highly unlikely - though I think some pdas or pocket pcs might have it).
Check the site it is not internal it is attached to the usb port of the laptop or pc and is essential dumb (requeres additional software such as girder to get the relevant codes).

Yep, some kind of Compaq PDA had the proper "remote" type IRDA. I tried the same with my Toshiba e750 at one time. Even though it has the "data" type or whatever IRDA sensors, it worked when I was within like 8 feet of the TV.

Read here for the typical reasons why you cant control a tv etc effectively using your Irda laptop without additional modification.
(It is quite technical but does mentions ways to get around the problem).

http://www.tuxmobil.org/Infrared-HOWTO/infrared-howto-c-lirc-irda.html

The other thing worth noting is that handheld and pocketpcs use different Irda ports or incorporate certain transceivers compared to laptops which might explain limited usability with them.

Back