• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Think little ram/chip heatsinks will better cool the backplate on x800/x850's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beau_safken

I picked up some chip stick on heatsinks that are used for the memory chips on video cards. I was thinking that maybe sticking them on the aluminium backplate that is on the x800/x850 cards. Obviously im gonna put AS5 on the chips and ditch the pads. I mean that thing gets wicked hot and has no fan, good heatsink or anything like that. Here is my idea....

Check out the picture...cant upload to my webserver at work...

I figure this should help some as I dont know how effective the heatsinks will be in helping reduce the high temps.

Attachments

• card idea.JPG
    card idea.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 161
I'd rather recommend getting rid of the backplate and put the heatssinks directly on the memory chips - will give you much better results.

Alright. Gonna transfer my fatality zalman cooler over to this card then. Should I just cover everything that looks like a chip with coolers or just put a massive fan over the backside and call it good?

Thread Hijack! Yay!

Actually, this is a very similar question to Beau's. I too have an X800 that has that lame heat spreader over the ram that gets MEGA hot. Can anyone suggest a SPECIFIC ram heatsink that has good performance?

Interesting. These have adhesive tapes on them, but if I wanted to use AS5, I'd have to mix in some kind of epoxy, right?

Back