• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan utility to cool laptop ghetto style

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mad_pc_man

Inspired by the featured article on afrotechmods.com. I wanted to cool my VERY hot toshiba Sattelite Pro 4300. I had a non-working xbox wireless airflow controller so took the fan out of there and wired it up to a usb cable. It works but only ever goes at full speed and is not configurable. I was wondering if there was a utility (software based) to change the amount of power goin to a USB port and if possible make it change itself depending on CPU usage
Pleasse help
tazzik

I thought about that but then it wouldn't react to cpu usage, but I will do this if no software or other solution turns up. Thanks for your help though
(addition)
what would anyone thik of me putting this up as a guide on overclockers.com

as far as I know... the usb port eigther gives you 5v or it dosent...

While modding my laptop with led's I noticed that every usb port had the same resistance which sugguest that the usb ports are on a voltage divider which cannot be changed via software...

I am having a equally difficult time getting my LED's to "pulse to the music"... it's impossible to do software wise and I am working on a hardware solution using a microrelay that taps into my subwoofer...

between 1 and 5% of the subwoofer power will be used as a signal for the relay to activate my led's (see link in sig) whenever the subwoofer makes some big bass...

Most likely you will get a rheostat with three legs. The resistance is adjustable between the first and the middle, and the last and the middle.. and the sum of these two will be the total of the rheostat.

So, power-->pin1 pin 2-->fan --> ground

Although this isnt the best way to do it - check the cooling forum for transistor based fan controllers.. those are best (although more work :- ] )

Back