• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 2800 upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nickyhoward55

i was planning on upgrading my whole system b4 xmas, but this is gonna have to wait till late spring/early summer 2006 now. what i wanna know is, is it worth me buyin a 3200XP and an SI-97A, or sticking with my 2800, buying an SI-97A and crankin me FSB 200?

the rest of my system is ok for now, but i find my processer lacking a little.

Sadly, that would be a waste of money for the most part. The modest increases in performance would still leave you with a system nearly 3 years past it's prime.You would be much better off to keeping all your gear with the exception of your CPU and mobo and building a 939 based system. You could get a ULI1695 chiset based mobo and either a Venice or a new 939 opteron CPU. You can do this for as little as $250 including a HSF. This would be a far better upgrade path to take. Good luck with it.

Agree'd, pretty much worthless to upgrade your Socket A CPU.

On another note, there's no reason that your K7N2 Delta can't do 200FSB, mine would run my Locked 2800 at over 200fsb.

CanadianTSi said:
Agree'd, pretty much worthless to upgrade your Socket A CPU.

On another note, there's no reason that your K7N2 Delta can't do 200FSB, mine would run my Locked 2800 at over 200fsb.

what sort of speed was it running at?

CanadianTSi said:
2500 was totally stable (200FSB)

Max screenie I got was somewhere around 2650.

I can say it is the 2500+ is pretty stable as you can see I've got mine stable for 2.2ghz standard OC for a 2500+ Barton. Never pushed it any further but I'm happy with the increase I'm keeping this system and starting to buy part by part my A64x2 after the new year.

This system is too good to get rid off and it's my first system I've built I still reckon she's got another 2 years for the games I play. Plus LAN games like Diablo 2 my mates on my 4 port router is great fun they bring there laptops and share the connection it's great.

[SaS]hornet said:
NICE!!!! was that on air cooling?

Yep, just a cheap Vantec cooler.

I'm sure the CPU has more in it but the board is limited to 1.8vcore.

But that Rig is retierd now, gave it to my little Sis. :santa:

Back