• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LAN Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chittnp

Ok, Im having problems with the speed of the internet on my Faraternity's LAN. The set up now consists of a Linksys NR041 router and a Linksys EZXS16W 16 port switch. right now there are about 15 computers hooked up to a Road Runner Commercial connection and right now the internet Crawls. I have a spare Linksys WRT54G wireless router Im willing to donate, and I thought that maybe upgrading the switch to the Linksys Etherfast 4124 24 port switch would help speed things up, but Im not sure if changing any of it would make a difference. Does anyone have any idea how I can speed things up? I wont even mention the situation with the wiring, which is another problem Im planning on fixing, but right now Im nore concerned with getting everyones internet working the way it should.

With that many users, your internet connection is most likely saturated, especially if anyone is doing any file sharing. Upgrading your equipment will likely gain you nothing, the easiest thing to do is that you'll want to look into increasing the speed of your internet connection thru your ISP.

I second that... Call your cable provider and up the speed. With that many computers, everyone is fighting for bandwidth.

What about going to everybody and asking what they use the internet for, then block ports to people that abuse to much? IE: P2P

thanks for the suggestions guys, I think my best option is to just have another line installed for my use. I was hoping for a quick fix, I had originally thought the switch we have was just a hub, and I could upgrade to a switch and speed things up. I'll just have to give Road Runner a call and have them hook me up. Thanks again!

Back