• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a compact and ultra-portable laptop.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Schalldampfer said:
I'm currently looking at the new Powerbook 15-inch with 1 gig of RAM. Is there anything better? Suggest away, please.

If you wait 6 months you may be able to load windows on an intel based MAC.
But I too would be interested in a book like this.

Dell 700m seems like a nice laptop if you don't mind the not quite full sized keyboard.

A 15" Powerbook is not ultra small or compact. What do you want to do with this notebook? Any reason for a Mac? Software you nedd requires mac?

techun said:
they're small and sexy?

Maybe the 12".
The 15 inch book is neither small nor sexy.

I personally like the Asus Z70v(a) or the V6V or the IBM T or X series. Sony's are also good but a bit overpriced.

One thing's for sure the IBM will probably outlast any of those notebooks, they are tanks.

Tebore said:
Maybe the 12".
The 15 inch book is neither small nor sexy.

I personally like the Asus Z70v(a) or the V6V or the IBM T or X series. Sony's are also good but a bit overpriced.

One thing's for sure the IBM will probably outlast any of those notebooks, they are tanks.

Oh wow... the IBM X series tablet is really appealing to me now. And I suppose I will have to go 12" if I am to buy a Powerbook. I'm not too excited about the max screen resolution on both the 12" and the X series, and I really would have liked the R9700 mobile on the 15"+ Powerbooks. I guess I can't have it all. I won't be buying one for another year, so I have some time to think over it.

The only one I can think of that's 12 inches and has a mobile 9700 is the Sony S360. It's a got a mag outter casing and it's about 4 lbs. Last I checked it's out of production and if you can find it, it's extremely expenisve for the specifications.

Tebore said:
The only one I can think of that's 12 inches and has a mobile 9700 is the Sony S360. It's a got a mag outter casing and it's about 4 lbs. Last I checked it's out of production and if you can find it, it's extremely expenisve for the specifications.

Thanks for that info... I guess I'll have to give up my dream of even remotely playing games on my future notebook...

Its sad but Moblie gamming is not possible in the small 12-14" laptops. It will be soon, but not yet. i just hope sooner than latter.

Tebore said:
^^
That said there's a revised Sony S360 with using the Sonoma platform and the X600. It's 13.3 Inches, I don't know the model off the top of my head at the moment.
not bad the X600 is decent, but new games today will not be playable on the X600 =(

ya but really IMO for just work related laptops there are better laptops out there than 12" powerbook. The only reason I would go apple is if the software needed was mac required. Shop around. MSI has a nice barebone Centrino laptop mabey look into. Ebay might be an option.

Back