• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to tell if your laptop can be pin modded

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeViL_909

Ok guys, I am trying to find out if I can do the pin mod to my IBM laptop. It is a three year old thinkpad that has a 1.6 Pentium M in it. I heard that you can mod these to run off a higher FSB. ANyone point me in the right direction on how to do this and how to find out if my laptop will support it.

First, I'm not too sure that your laptop is 3 years old since Pentium M's came out in March of 03. Second, you can only pin mod a 333MHz FSB chip to a 533MHz chip if the motherboard supports 533MHz chips in the first place. Given that fact, most laptop motherboards that support 533MHz FSB chips didn't come out till the beginning of this year which is when the 533MHz FSB chips started hitting the market. If you have an older IBM, your motherboard probably doesn't support the 533MHz FSB, so the pin mod is pointless.....and that is assuming that the chip isn't soldered into the mobo in the first place.

The only option you have is to use software to modify your operating frequency, but overclocking a laptop isn't a good idea due to limited cooling solutions.

My laptop mobo doesn't support 533 FSB, so I am in the same boat that you are in. I know, it sucks.

-N

Thanks for the quick response. I got it as a freshman at UNC and now I am a junior. So i guess it is about 2 and a half years old. Well it was worth a try. I hate this laptop anyway lol. I was just going to see if I could get any more out of it.

You can not. The pin mod requires a 400FSB chip which you probally have, but also need the new Intel 915 chipset, which added support for 533FSB Dothans :)

Back