• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AGP+PCI Express on a Single Card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It makes no sense to me. The techs at MSI are on something and it's not helping them. Why would someone buy this card? Gee, I can't decider so, I'll get both in one? I understand the ULI1695 concept. You have a few hundred invested in an AGP and you buy a board that will use it till you get a pci-e. This is reversed. I have $100 invested in an AGP board so I will spend $250 on a card I can use now and when I upgrade the board. For the extra money they will get for this card you could just get a new motherboard. :confused:

Tomatosaurus[RE said:
Why is it that I get this AtomChip®-feeling from this VGA card?

:santa:

No, this is real.

They just try a lot of things out over at MSI, just like at Gigabyte.

IMO they should have kept an AGP type interface on all the new mobos. Like
AGPx16 that still supported AGPX8X4.

There were other reasons for going to PCIe, better power management etc. AGP had come to the end of its life anyway. The architeture didn't allow for much of a bandwidth increase and it couldn't supply the power required for modern cards(even my 9800pro needs an aditional power connector).

Back