• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Cold Heat soldering iron.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mysterfix

Hey guys, I just picked up one of these bad boys and I must say it works great! It actually works just as advertised. You simply touch the end to what ever your going to solder and the thing instantly heats up and melts the solder.

mvc981s6oj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
This is a practice run that I did to see how hard it is to use. Very easy indeed.
mvc982s3uq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought those things would ruin your electronics. They send some sort of pulse that could fry what ever you are trying to solder. Does the device you used it on still work?

They will, which is why I highly recommend you discontinue using it. It is not intended for electronics at all. It creates an arch of power between two pieces of metal, and heats up extremely quickly, to ~800 degrees. So not only do you get random power going all through your electronics, you get extreme temperatures. Here is a statement from the company about its release.

We do not recommend it for soldering sensitive electronic components that may be damaged by fast-rising temperatures or high electrical current. (Momentary high-amperage current will be created during active soldering.)

Someone needs to make a sticky that says "DON'T USE COLD HEAT FOR ELECTRONICS"...

haha yeah i thought about how it actually oes the soldering, that solves it,,, no cold heat for me..

I thought about getting that once... I was actually considering the PRO version and then I read a couple of reviews about them and then I started wondering why in the world the iorn needed to jump up to 800 degrees when solder melts way less themperature than that..

plus you need like 3 hards for that thing... I will stick to my elcheapo tequnique by pre tinning the wires using $6 iorn...

*shudders* good thing that was only a modem.....

those things scare me, i think i'd rather goo out in th shed and grab the MIG welder, and try using that on my mobo. its alright for like the jewelry rap they show in the commercials, but i wouldnt go near anything that has semiconductors in it.

I never tried it on a working board. The pci card in the picture is an old modem card that I was using for practice. I am going to try it on an old video card that I know works. I'm not convinced that it will fry the board seeing as it only uses 4 AA batteries which only works out to be 6v and you really only need to touch the solder to the 2 points. It's not as neat that way but it gets the job done without heating up your resistors or what ever you happen to be soldering.

You guys do have a good point about the temperature. It heats up very quickly and you could possibly burn the pcb if your not careful.

Thanks for the warning guys I'll try not to kill any precious computer parts. :bang head

mysterfix said:
I never tried it on a working board. The pci card in the picture is an old modem card that I was using for practice. I am going to try it on an old video card that I know works. I'm not convinced that it will fry the board seeing as it only uses 4 AA batteries which only works out to be 6v and you really only need to touch the solder to the 2 points. It's not as neat that way but it gets the job done without heating up your resistors or what ever you happen to be soldering.

You guys do have a good point about the temperature. It heats up very quickly and you could possibly burn the pcb if your not careful.

Thanks for the warning guys I'll try not to kill any precious computer parts. :bang head

It creates an electrical arch, which is kind of like getting your card ESD'd

Yeah the general consensus is that Cold Heat sucks. In addidion to not being for electronics it it ackward to hold and blocks your view. That second pics looks like a cold joint btw. If you want a cordless iron get a gas powered one.

ESD=Electrostatic discharge. Or something like that, my minds kinda screwy after watching Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind on ABC Family tonight.

Hmm, only 4 AA batteries=6V, but in a stun gun, you need a 9V battery, and it puts out (largest i've seen) 600,000 V.

Its possible to fry ur electronics with it..because 6v is not gonna get up to 800 degrees....it MUST put out more than 6v

have any of you ever taken apart a disposable camera? if so, you may have been (un)lucky enough to find that with a single 1.5 volt aa battery they can make great ammounts of (painful) voltage. the circuit pulses power into an inductor which causes the voltage output to go wayy up from the magnetic field discharging through the inductor. you can get lots of voltage out of things, or this is more likely to work on high current rather than voltage. the arc welder i have in the shed only operates at 19 volts, but i tihnk gets up to around 150 amps.

if the power happens to go through a circuit on the board as opposed to straight across a conductor, it could burn out traces inside of ics, and if you're lucky enough they'll actually make a pop and a piece of the chip will actually fly out of there

another thing to think about is how the heat affects the metal. im going to school for being a machinist, and have learned that when you geta part too hot while machining it, it prety much becomes scrap as its properties are altered, and usually for the worse as they arent controlled as in the heat treating environment.

while its neat how its nice and portable and quick to heat, if you want to do some serious soldering, i say go to radioshack and get one of the 15/30 watt switchable irons. they can do damn near anytihng when it comes to small stuff, as you can see in my sticky in the top of this section, and linked in my sig. try soldering to one of the ICs with the tiny little pins, theres 3 of them in that pic, and see how that goes. thats a perfect situation to get the contacts of the cold heat across 2 different pins which could easily spell disaster for the poor old riptide.

adnonimape said:
Hmm, only 4 AA batteries=6V, but in a stun gun, you need a 9V battery, and it puts out (largest i've seen) 600,000 V.

Its possible to fry ur electronics with it..because 6v is not gonna get up to 800 degrees....it MUST put out more than 6v

Not True.

I own three Weller Soldering Guns. Three different wattage ranges and have been using them since the late 60's. Like welding, they operate by producing low voltage high current to achieve heat. They are basically a stepdown transformer, with a single turn on the secondary. They step 110 VAC down to something like .35 VAC at some ungodly high current. That's how transformers work. You either step up the voltage and lose current, or you step down voltage and gain current. More than once, after extensive use, I've had a tip burn out, leaving two conductors with a gap between them as opposed to a closed loop to generate the heat. In a jam, I've pressed the two conductors to the work I was trying to solder and the work closed the loop as opposed to the conductor. As the current passed through my work, it heated up. If the work was a solder pad, it heated up quickly as well as sputtering once it became liquified due to the alternating current. I'm sure the cold heat iron works under the same principal. Either it chops the DC voltage provided by the batteries into AC and transforms it down, or if you look closely, you may just discover that those AA cells are actually wired in parallel as opposed to series. That would increase the current capacity while maintaining only 1.5V across the electrodes. If you doubt the amount of heat that one or more AA batteries can produce, strip a piece of stranded wire and remove one strand. Put it across that single alkaline, or for better effect, nicad AA cell. Be prepared to drop the whole thing before it burns you though. With a nicad cell, which has lower internal resistance than a disposable cell, it'll make a 30 guage wire glow red hot in less than a second.

In a semiconductor junction, current flowing through it in excess of its rating will fry it just as fast as an ESD hit.

In the case of a simple solder pad, if the path of current flow is kept solely to that pad, there's no way it'll fry components attached to that pad. That's the hook. You gotta think about what you're soldering and how close it may be to adjacent circuitry. That's too much opportunity for human error in my opinion. As for heating something too much, you can kill electronic components with a conventional soldering iron almost as easily if you leave it on what you're soldering too long. That's why I refer to soldering as an art form. Very technique sensitive. Most components have an LTT rating. That's Lead Time Temperature. It is a specification that quantifies how long you can have a given soldering temperature present on a component lead before you run the risk of conducted heat causing damage. Mich43L had a good point regarding obstructing your view of what you're soldering. Any soldering device that does not let you see the joint as it's forming is an invitation to rework. No one likes having to wick off excess solder that wound up bridging to an adjacent point.

Last year, my wife and I were surfing the TV channels and up popped an ad for that Cold Heat iron. My wife, bless her heart, turned to me and said, "You have a birthday coming up, would you like one of them to add to your collection of pens, irons and guns?" That got her a kiss and a gentle "No thanks honey, but I appreciate the thought." Unfortunately, that netted me yet another cheesy sweater for my birthday, to hang in my closet with all the other cheesy sweaters... :rolleyes:

Hoot

Thanks for the info Hoot and four4875 I don't agree with the point made about your view bieng obstructed though. I could see just fine while I was using the iron. I will take your advise and keep this thing away from any parts that I plan on keeping. I do have plenty of throw away parts to practice and experiment on though. :)

Can one of you supply me with a link to a more suitable iron for doing things like volt mods. I've had 2 25w irons that did not work worth a crap. Seems like the tips never got hot enough to melt the solder. Also that guide you wrote was very helpful four4875.

i also own one of those irons as well, works nicely, just dont use it on an energised circuit, as the tip being grounded can cause difficulties. but it is a good way to avoid ESD.

four4875 said:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062730&cp

thats the iron used in my guide and referred to in the previous post. that and some good thin solder. then practice, and be sure to keep the tip clean and tinned.

I use the same iron for my work also. It's been great so far. I'm hoping to graduate up to a mid-level soldering station, something from Weller or Hakko perhaps in the near future.

- Jim

Back